Work on a neighborhood greenway connecting Crown Hill to North Seattle College is underway, according to SDOT.
The construction will last six months and includes new traffic signals crossing Holman Rd at NW 92nd Street and Greenwood Ave at N 100th Street.
Bike commute data shows that bike-to-work rates drop steeply north of Holman Rd, a busy road without bike lanes and very few safe crossing options. The city repaved the road a few years ago, but chose not to adequately address the street’s major biking and walking access issues.
This neighborhood greenway route augments recent Safe Routes to School projects and several Neighborhood Street Fund projects led by dedicated neighbors in recent years. The western terminus at North Seattle College will connect to the Northgate biking and walking bridge scheduled to open in 2020.
More details from SDOT:
We’ve hired a contractor to build this greenway and the entire project will take roughly 6 months to complete. Work in front of a specific block or intersection will last for a shorter duration. Construction will begin at Holman/13th and at 92nd/8th as soon as July 23.
Most construction activity will be at intersections where the greenway crosses a busy arterial. We’ll notify neighbors at these intersections separately to give you a heads up about what to expect:
- 15th Ave NW – sidewalk corners and curb ramps, stripe new crosswalks
- Holman Rd NW – new traffic signal, crosswalk, sidewalk corners and curb ramps, in coordination with the Neighborhood Street Fund project (we’re maintaining the existing pedestrian overpass)
- 8th Ave NW – sidewalk corners and curb ramps, new crossing beacon, crosswalks
- 3rd Ave NW – sidewalk corner and curb ramps, new crossing beacon, crosswalks
- Greenwood Ave N (at N 100th St) – new traffic signal, sidewalk corners and curb ramps, and crosswalks
The North Seattle Neighborhood Greenway will span roughly 2 miles, connecting Crown Hill and the Soundview Playfield through Greenwood, Licton Springs, and meeting up with the future Northgate Ped/Bike Bridge, that will add a new walking/biking route over I5 and connect you with the Link light rail station in 2021.
Once complete, the greenway will connect to existing and future family-friendly bike routes in North Seattle. The bike network includes bikeways and Safe Routes to School connections that get you where you want to go, giving you affordable, active transportation options for all ages and abilities. Connections include:
- Parks: Soundview Playfield, Crown Hill Park, Sandel Park, and Licton Springs Park
- Schools: Whitman Middle School, Eagle Staff Middle School, Cascadia Elementary School, Licton Springs K-8 School, Greenwood Elementary School, St. John Catholic School, and North Seattle College
- Neighborhoods, business districts: Crown Hill, Greenwood, Licton Springs, and Northgate
- Citywide bike network: 17th Ave NW Neighborhood Greenway, Fremont Neighborhood Greenway, Eagle Staff Neighborhood Greenway, College Way N bike lanes, and N 92nd St bike lanes
- Transit: RapidRide lines on Holman and Aurora, bus routes on Greenwood and College Way N, and future Northgate Ped/Bike Bridge to light rail