Work on Nickerson is scheduled to begin next week. This comes after a brief fight over the proposal, which will eliminate a traffic lane in each direction and add a center turn lane, a bicycle lane and safe crosswalks. Resistance was put to rest, largely because of an SDOT study showing the success of a similar road diet on Stone Way. Publicola has a good summary of the fight.
Here’s the construction notice from SDOT:
Construction work is scheduled to begin July 26th and continue into late August. Normal working hours will be between 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Grinding off the top layer of asphalt and repaving of the roadway is expected to occur at night and is scheduled to take a total of 3 days during the first and second weeks in August.
— Advertisement —
The tentative sequence of work is as follows:
- Last week of July thru the first week of August – New concrete panels at Etruria Street and new curb ramps in various locations
- Two days during the first week of August – Asphalt grinding (pavement removal)
- First and second weeks of August — Roadway base repairs and utility adjustments
- One day later in the week of August 9 thru 13 – Asphalt pavement overlay
- First three to four weeks of August – Remove and replace channelization/pavement striping
- Last part of August – Finalize work and clean up
If you have a big monitor/enjoy studying road plans, here you go: