For the first six months or so of 2016, construction will happen in four seemingly out-of-order segments in the sprawling parking area as crews significantly modify the planting areas and parking alignments in order to create a continuous two-way bikeway between the Fremont Bridge/Ship Canal Trail and Lake Union Park.
The first thing you will notice is the removal of trees from the parking area (*teardrops*). But the plan is to move some trees and replace others two-to-one.
The map on the right shows the order you can expect work to happen.
Westlake Cycle Track construction activities are scheduled to begin in early January and continue through early summer 2016.
Phase 1 of work begins between Crockett St and the south end of Railroad Park, shown on the map in orange.
What to expect during Phase 1
- Tree removal, primarily on the east side of the parking area
- Saw cutting, which requires temporary parking restrictions
- Pavement breaking and removal
- “No Parking” signs will be installed
- Equipment and materials will be placed in an established work zone
- Parking will generally only be restricted in the active work zone
- Increased noise and dust from large equipment working within the construction zone
- Typical work hours from 7 AM to 4 PM, Monday to Friday; some activities may require work outside of these hours
When work begins, construction crews will be working on the east side of the Westlake parking area adjacent to the sidewalk. Work will progress in phases along the corridor.
Visit our project website for the latest construction information. We’ll also continue to send regular updates to this email list.