It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! Say, did you know you can see all previous bike news roundups by clicking the tag? That’s a lot of bike links.
Anyway, let’s kick things off with this video about a bicycle made almost entirely out of junked cars.
Pacific Northwest News:
- Human Transit: chokepoints for effective transit: the example of Seattle – Great post. Obviously, also relevant to bicycling.
- Road-rage suspect who broke man’s facial bones sought in Spanaway | Seattle Times
- ARTCRANK Announces New U.S. Cities for 2013: Chicago, Seattle and Boston
- How one km of bike lane sparked a revolution in Vancouver | Troy Media
- Isabel and her Seattle Supersonics themed Davidson – ZLOG
- Bicyclists, pedestrians and TriMet riders outspend drivers at small businesses: Portland State University study | OregonLive.com
- A better world for our children? « Cascade Bike Blog – Essentially good advice for all government decisions, but especially transportation: Will this investment be good for our children? If so, do it. If not, don’t do it. Simple.
- Five Lessons For Seattle Bike Share Plan | KUOW News and Information
- #TAD13 « Cascade Bike Blog – Cascade Bicycle Club
- Do we need SB 5564, the safe passing bill? » Washington Bike Law Washington Bike Law
- Zipcar vs. Car2Go – Seattle Transit Blog
- Puget Sound Bike Share to Launch in 2014 | Seattle Met – Again, more worries about whether helmet laws will affect usage. I am confident it will work. More on this soon…
- City 520 Resolution Passes! Charts New Course | Central Seattle Greenways
- “Every time you’re around cyclists, craft beer is not far behind” « Cascade Bike Blog – Cascade profiles Peddler’s Brewing
- Five takeaways from touring Seattle media | Converged – In which I discuss new journalism funding models with Mizzou grad students.
- Rep. Roger Goodman Says Bill Seeking Child Support Payments for Victims of Vehicular Homicide Is Dead – The Daily Weekly
- Legislation & Statewide Issues | Bicycle Alliance of Washington – A good roundup of the bikey bills moving (and not moving) through the legislature
- Sneak peek at Vancouver bike share’s helmet vending machine prototype | Metro
Halftime show! The following invention is incredible not because it is particularly cool, but because it is a statement about how insane life is without clean air.
National & Global News:
- Bikes Are Being USED, I Tell You. Keep Up the Good Work. « Bike Style Life – Media “exploitation” of cycling to sell stuff: Good or bad?
- Taking the kids to school by car is dangerous :: archief nrc.nl – Cycling to school is declining in Holland
- Chicago Tribune – Falling out of love with cars
- Video: Impact of One Year of Separated Bike Lanes in One City | Transportation Issues Daily – The biggest winner: People in cars. Motor vehicle collisions went down by 50 percent when Long Beach installed cycle tracks in its downtown. If that’s a war on cars, then bike lane promoters really need to reread Sun Tzu…
- Florida Secretary DOT Raises Speed Limit After Getting Ticket « Systemic Failure – There I Fixed It…
- Advocacy Alert: Please contact your own Missouri Representative to oppose bicycle ban | Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation – Come on, home state!
- Shanghai License Plate Costs Same As Brand New Fully-Loaded Sedan ← The Urban Country – And here folks thought a $60 car tab increase was bad…
- Failing to Back Up His Words, Mayor Lee Won’t Fund SF’s Bike Strategy | Streetsblog San Francisco – SF could be poised to take over Seattle’s #2 big bike city spot, but not with this kind of leadership.
- The Ray LaHood Exit Interview | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Samuel James’s Photos of the Illicit Oil Industry in the Niger Delta – NYTimes.com – If you didn’t hate the global oil addiction before viewing this…
- New York Bike-Lane Advocates Fear New Mayor Will Roll Back Gains – NYTimes.com
- How to Build a Better Bike Lane (and Get More People Out on Bikes) – The Atlantic Cities
- Cycling Advocates to President: We’d Like Another Ray LaHood, Please | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Petition | ebay.com: Help #stopbiketheft – Make Serial Numbers Mandatory On Listings | Change.org – I like this.
- IDOT Blocks Protected Bike Lanes on Several Chicago Streets Until 2014 | Streetsblog Chicago – So much for Chicago bike lanes bounding over bureaucracy…
- Adventure Cycling Association: How to Make a Bicycle Travel Video: 6 Expert Posts
This is an open thread.