It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s a look at one day of transit in Seattle (via Seattle Transit Blog):
Pacific Northwest News:
- No Spandex Required – New blog about biking in Seattle! Bookmark/subscribe.
- Cameras to help monitor breath of DUI offenders | The Seattle Times – While this is cool and all, if things have gotten this far, these people should probably not have a driver’s license anymore.
- Family biking is safe « Family Ride – In which Madi ignores my calls to just delete a troll comment and instead writes a contemplative piece about it.
- State says widening I-5 at Seneca would cost $23 million | The Seattle Times – Oh, only $23 million? I bet WSDOT can find that in its couch cushions. But don’t ask for relative pennies for biking or walking projects. Also, wasn’t this part of the Transit/I-5 tunnel alternative (rest its soul).
- West Seattle Blog… » Lincoln Park Way open again after bicyclist injured
- Transportation Nag: Safe Routes to Health, Part 2: Riding a Wheelchair to Health – Should mobility scooters be part of the separated bike lane discussion?
- The Dutch have a cure for ‘Seattle Process’ | Crosscut.com
- Filmed by Bike » Call for Entries
- Get ready to pedal! Event registration opens Jan. 8 for Cascade members « Cascade Bike Blog – Cascade Bicycle Club – Seattle, Washington
- Peddler Brewing Company by Peddler Brewing Company — Kickstarter – Already funded! Now help them get to $15K
- Winter Bicycle Fears « Cascade Bike Blog
- The Bike Business Forum brings the business voice to bicycle planning « Cascade Bike Blog
- Truck involved in fatal North Bend hit-and-run found | Seattle Times
Halftime show! Bicycle Sounds:
National & Global News:
- Bicycle Advocates of the Day: The Miami Heat – The Atlantic Cities
- Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk : Amazon.com : Automotive – The reviews and user photos on this steering wheel laptop tray are awesome (via Elly Blue)
- Redefining “protected”: A look at CDOT’s new bike lane terminology | Grid Chicago – Chicago’s buffered bike lanes have buffers on both sides (for traffic and parked car doors)
- Not So Fast: Avis’ Proposed $500M Zipcar Buy Being Investigated For Short-Changing Shareholders | TechCrunch
- Bikes Aren’t Just Good For You, They’re Good For The Economy, Too | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation
- The Geography of Drunk Driving – The Atlantic Cities
- The True Costs of Automobility: External Costs of Cars | Road Danger Reduction Forum
- Instead of building more parking spots, Parking Panda lets people rent out the ones they already own | Grist – So cool. Imagine if this became more widespread. Not driving would pay you twice: Once because you wouldn’t have to pay for a car, gas, insurance, etc, and twice because someone would give you money to park in your unused space.
- Mayor “Deep V” Announces Bikeshare, Bike Giveaway – In LA
- Cardboard Helmet Passes Safety Tests – BikeRadar
- Virginia signs $1.4 billion highway deal – The Washington Post – Yikes.
- Fiscal cliff deal restores transit benefit – Greater Greater Washington – Bikes still get peanuts (but the transit benefit is good news).