It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! Here’s a taste of some of the stuff floating around the web that caught our eye.
First up, this Gainesville Police officer responded to a complaint of teens playing basketball in the street too loudly. Justice was served.
Better yet he kept his word and returned for a rematch, but he brought along a ringer: Shaq.
Pacific Northwest News
- In praise of slow cycling | Vancitybuzz
- Connecting the Eastside Rail Corridor part 2: Downtown Kirkland | The View from the Crosswalk
- Driver Arrested After Striking Four People In Hit and Run | SPD Blotter
- Car hits Kent-Meridian HS student in campus crosswalk | The Seattle Times
- Broadway businesses wary of a two stop extension to First Hill Streetcar | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – Either way, we need to extend the bikeway.
- Portland is first U.S. city to make protection the default for all new bike lanes | PeopleForBikes
- Videos show difficulties navigating TriMet’s swing gates – BikePortland.org
- Plan strives to make Victoria “the best small cycling city in the world” | Vancitybuzz
- Metro buses test alarms to improve pedestrian safety | The Seattle Times
- Let Us Build Backyard Cottages | The Urbanist
- Google is testing its self-driving car in Kirkland | The Seattle Times
- Seattle DJC – Group sees Pier 86 as a huge canvas for artwork
- 2 killed, 5 injured in major crash at Snoqualmie Pass; westbound I-90 closed | KOMO
- Road rage assault leaves man feeling helpfless, frustrated and scared – BikePortland.org
- Will the City Council Save Pronto, Seattle’s Bike Share Service? – Slog – The Stranger
- More low-income Seattle students to get free ORCA cards | The Seattle Times
- Upcoming Event: Monthly Meeting and New Speaker Series | The Urbanist – Cascade’s Elizabeth Kiker is the guest.
- PIONEER SQUARE BICYCLE RACK – Take the survey! Let Pioneer Square know how badly the neighborhood needs more bike parking.
- Struktur Event | Episode 5: Martina Brimmer, co-founder and creative director, Swift Industries
- Sumas boy, 14, on bike hit by pickup, killed near Paradise | Bellingham Herald
- Amazon delivery truck slams into downtown Seattle building | KOMO
- These 7 photos reveal how I-5 construction tore through old Seattle | The Seattle Times
- Improved Walking, Biking, And Transit Facilities Coming To Roosevelt, But It Could Be Better | The Urbanist
- 10 Cities Lead National Effort to Eliminate Traffic Fatalities | Vision Zero Network – Seattle is one of them. Let’s do this.
- Johnson Defends HALA After Tough Meeting in Wallingford | The C Is for crank
- You Hate Construction In Seattle. But What If You Were Blind? | KUOW
- New Safe Routes to School Beacon Hill Trail Groundbreaking | SDOT Blog
- Council votes to endorse transit on Cross Kirkland Corridor | The Seattle Times
- New Pedestrian Bridge Coming To Everett | The Urbanist
- Driver in deadly Tracyton crash gets 6 ½ years | Kitsap Sun
- Seattle man gets 6 ½ years for killing bicyclist in DUI crash | The Seattle Times – RIP Andy Hulslander
STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES YOU MONSTERS IN WHAT WORLD DID YOU LEARN TO DRIVE GOOD GOD
National & Global News
- Texas Hasn’t Had a Deathless Day Without a Fatal Car Crash Since 2000 – CityLab
- The Feds Want to Reform the Cult of “Level of Service” | Streetsblog USA
- Charges and civil suit dropped against Sunset Hills mayor over bicycle incident : STL Today
- Space Jetta | what if – In which XKCD calculates that it would be safer to drop every car on earth from space than to keep driving them.
- BikeIndex’s January 2016 recoveries!
- St. Louis “Beat Congestion” and Now Commute Times Are Longer | Streetsblog.net
- Police: BMX star Dave Mirra shot and killed himself with own gun | WCTI – Damn. I grew up watching Dave, as did so many others out there. Take care of yourself and each other.
- Michael Prater: Cycling ‘fed his soul’ – Michael and his family moved to Cincinnati from Seattle in 2012. Devastating news.
- Obama proposes $10-a-barrel oil tax – Feb. 4, 2016 – Amazing news. Probably doomed, but we need to be talking about ideas like this on a national level if we have any chance.
- Evidence That Split-Phase Signals Are Safer Than Mixing Zones for Bike Lanes | Streetsblog New York City – File this under “No duh.”
- Why bike lanes make people mad – The Washington Post
- Study: Sharrows Don’t Make Streets Safer for Cycling | Streetsblog USA – Another addition to the “No duh” file.
- #StreetFail: Crossing the Quebec Street Slant | Streetsblog Denver
- Drivers May Pay for Next Step in Fight Against Climate Change – Bloomberg Business
- Study: The Strongest Evidence Yet That Abudant Parking Causes More Driving – CityLab
- The New Climate Villain Is Cheap Oil | Streetsblog USA
- Chris Christie Sticks It to Pedestrians for No Discernible Reason | Streetsblog.net – In case you still weren’t sure if this guy sucks or not, there you go.
This is an open thread.