Bike News Roundup: Melting roads open thread!

It’s the Bike News Roundup! But it’s also an open thread. Did you ride today? Report back on what people should expect if they are thinking of heading out on bike.

First up, bike corrals are awesome. I love these cheap curb stop/staple rack bike corrals. Seattle has a bunch of those parking curbs and staple racks. Let’s make them into corrals!

Making Streets Safer With On-Street Bike Parking from Streetfilms on Vimeo.

This entry was posted in news and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Bike News Roundup: Melting roads open thread!

1. Eli Goldberg says:

For anyone interested in getting a bike corral in your Seattle neighborhood, University Greenways conducted an extensive investigation (culminating in a presentation to our Chamber of Commerce board).

You can find those materials here:

(We’ve put it on hold temporary because SDOT is now investigating a Neighborhood Greenway for 2012 construction in our neighborhood, and we want to be sure the corral can leverage traffic from that to-be-built arterial.)

2. Kathryn says:

Does anyone know the condition of the Burke-Gilman between Ballard and Fremont and/or Dexter bike lanes?

3. Robbie says:

Conditions on the Burke from the Ballard Fred Meyer into Fremont this morning at 9 were sloppy and slippery. Just enough melt to compromise traction. Not enough melt to punch through to asphalt. I took the Westlake parking lots instead of the Dexter bike lanes to minimize interaction with autos, so I can’t speak to those. Everything should be much improved in the next couple of hours. And very wet.

4. Jessie K. says:

Ugh, Keurig machines. So much waste, and all for a truly terrible cup of coffee that was ground and packaged in China 6 months before you popped it into your little machine.

Thanks for the weekly roundup–I always look forward to it!

5. Catherine says:

Found these today in my blog reader:

Bike decals! To stay safe in dark times!

6. merlin says:

Tom, could you send a note to my boss explaining that I need a half a day off every week to read all the great stuff in the Bike News Roundup?? Thanks!

7. Andres says:

Hauling beehives by bicycle is surprisingly doable (I’ve done it both here and in Boston). The bike-a-bee idea is great, but keeping bees in multiple location is a *lot* of work (compared to just keeping a bunch of hives in one location). It’d be interesting to hear about sustainable ways to turn it into a business;.

8. Alix says:

As of Friday night the Dexter bike lanes were full of slushy snow

9. Chase says:

26th ave crossing Boyer is super icy coming down the hill under the bridge. Had to walk and saw a few cars losing control briefly. This was as of 9am this morning.

10. Steel Frame says:

Anyone know how the burke is from 145th to the UW?

11. Gary says:

Hey I use oil on my chain and bearings. Shouldn’t a tax on oil go to the “uses of oil?” Not just the burning of oil?

12. Al Dimond says:

Sunday my ride around Mercer Island was pretty pleasant; there was some snow and ice on the I-90 trail on the island, but only on sections where the parallel roads are better than the trail anyway. Monday morning I tried to ride the Lake Washington Loop from Madison up to 520 and it was pretty much coated in black ice. Fell three times. Lots of people were out trying to ride it today, didn’t seem to be doing much better.

13. Gary says:

Rode in this morning. 20 ft of ice left on the Mercer Slough trail. Otherwise the Mercer Island trail is all clear. The roadway, grit city but ride-able. Gotta give yourself some leeway when turning on all that grit.