Transcript (auto-generated .txt)
The nationally-famous Marley Blonsky joined me to talk about a recent Washington Post story that featured her: “They call themselves ‘fat cyclists’ — and they want to get more people, of all sizes, on bikes.”
We talk about that story at the start, then we move on to talk about a few of the stories in the roundup. So if nothing else, watch (or listen to) the first 20 minutes or so. Thanks for joining the show, Marley!
First up in the Bike News Roundup, StreetFilms made a quick edit comparing Madison Square before and after the city built large public plazas in the street:
Pacific Northwest News
- I’m a Fat Cyclist—And I Don’t Need to “Fix” My Body | Bicycling
- Initiative 976 remains on hold after judge largely upholds car-tab tax measure | The Seattle Times
- Izzy Sederbaum – We Got To Hang Out Episode 59
- Wing Luke’s ‘Excluded, Inside the Lines’ exhibit takes on redlining and housing discrimination in Seattle – The Seattle Times
- A tower of luxury condos with almost no parking? This experiment seems to be failing – The Seattle Times
- Balducci: rethink University St Station renaming – Seattle Transit Blog
- Calls to license, insure cyclists in B.C. get mixed reviews | Vancouver Courier
- Connection to Thomas Street Overpass Slated for Upgrade | The Urbanist
- Council Connection » Councilmember Pedersen Introduces Bill to Consider Climate Change with All New Legislation
- Father and son find ancient human remains while biking on Port Angeles trail | KOMO
- Judge hearing arguments on challenge to Washington state car-tab initiative | The Seattle Times
- Kick off bicycle season at Chilly Hilly on Bainbridge Island; plus a dance mini-fest in Seattle | The Seattle Times
- Planter Boxes in South Seattle Bike Lane Removed After Complaints | The Urbanist
- Seattle Mayor Durkan launches bid for reelection | The Seattle Times
- Seattle Parks and Recreation developing a proposed budget for the next cycle of the voter-approved Seattle Park District – Parkways
- Seattle unprepared to deliver promised Madison bus line, expert review says – The Seattle Times
- Senator Hobbs Showcases Big Transportation Proposal and It’s Still Highway Focused | The Urbanist
- State of Seattle: Mayor Durkan emphasizes progress, not problems | Crosscut
- West Seattle Blog… | YOUR VOICE, YOUR CHOICE … and your dollars! Time for spending suggestions
- 15th and Columbian Way Gets Another Chance at Redesign | The Urbanist
Halftime show! When should we build the Georgetown-to-South Park Trail?
National & Global News
- The ‘Busway’ Proves Another Benefit of Car-Free Streets: Safety – Streetsblog New York City
- Another City Eliminated Non-Driver Deaths In 2019 – Streetsblog USA
- bicyclebenefits: Where do we go from here?
- Cyclo Knitter by George Barratt-Jones – Album on Imgur – An oldie, but I totally forgot about it and found it whimsical all over again.
- Denver is nearing a tipping point on bicycles as transportation | The Denver Post
- Eyewitnesses said KCK crossing guard pushed children out of the way before driver hit him | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
- Hackers trick Tesla into accelerating 50 mph using 2-inch tape strip – Business Insider
- It’s not just speed that kills. New research recognises the danger of all traffic on our streets. – Action Vision Zero
- Janette Sadik-Khan: Car Crashes Are an Epidemic We Can Solve – Streetsblog USA
- No charges after car drives through Wet’suwet’en supporters in Regina | Globalnews.ca
- The Price of 4 Years of ‘Infrastructure Weeks’ – CityLab
- Advocates Question AOC and Levin’s ‘EV Freedom Bill’ – Streetsblog USA
This is an open thread.