Summer Parkways 2016 kicks off with what is shaping up to be one of the biggest open streets events in recent Seattle history. Head down to Rainier Valley from 12:30 to 4:30 Saturday afternoon for car-free community fun.
Teaming up with the long-running Rainier Valley Heritage Parade in Columbia City and the Big Day of Play, Summer Parkways will connect Rainier Playfield and Othello Park partially via residential streets and partially right down the middle of a car-free Rainier Ave.
Both ends of the route will be packed with activities (seriously, see the *partial* list below) from food trucks to trampolines to a car show (hey, if its an open streets event then even Seattle Bike Blog can get into a car show).
The Parkways team has learned from last year’s events in the Central District and Ballard and say they have a better traffic control plan this time around (both events had issues with people driving on the route and volunteers who had a rough time trying to stop them).
But perhaps the biggest change for the Rainier Valley event is the amount of community partnership building that went into the planning, thanks in large part to Rainier Valley Greenways organizer and Seattle Bike Advisory Board member Phyllis Porter. And it shows in the number of organizations on board to participate.
Because while open streets are on the surface about bicycling (and walking), they’re actually about community. When car traffic is diverted from a street, the people who live, work and play there can fill the space and have fun together. A bike is just one fun way to experience it.
Meet at Othello Park at noon to ride at 12:45 with Mayor Ed Murray and other community members.
The party will kick off our series with a huge day of festivities! At Rainier Valley Summer Parkways, Big Day of Play, the South Seattle Community Picnic and the Rainier Valley Heritage Festival and are excited to bring a blow-out day of activities, events and fun to the Valley. So many ways to play! Save the date & share the news with your friends, family and neighbors. We’re so excited to celebrate the Rainier Valley with you.
Here are just some of the participants and activities you can expect to see at the events:
Rainier Valley Summer Parkways
See below for event route!
- Novelty Ice Cream treats from Moonie Tunes Ice Cream
- Make it your way with a topping bar at Anchor End Pretzel Sandwiches
- Food for the Soul from Neema’s Comfort Foods
- Find out if you are for a rain garden or cistern rebate with Rainwise
- Register to vote and learn more about Statewide Poverty Action Network
- Giant game of chess with the Rainier Beach Merchants Association
- Seattle Department of Transportation
- City of Seattle Neighborhoods – HALA
- Bike Bingo from Cascade Bicycle Club
- “Books on Bikes” Full service mobile library from Seattle Public Library
- Live music
- Free bike rentals from Pronto Cycle Share
- Outdoor movie at dusk in Columbia Park presented by SEED Arts & the Rainier Arts Center
- United Negro College Fund Walk-Bike-Run for Education
- Custom t-shirt designs Northington Tees
- Ezells Express Fried Chicken
- Connecting students to local and global community programs: FIUTS
- Lotion and body butter demonstrations from NALI Natural Body Care Products
- Foundation for International Understanding Through Students
- Riles Naturals
- Jewelry, clothing and restorative clothing from Restoration Bible Church
- Johnny’s Fine Foods
- Buffalo Soldiers
- Hollywood Elegance
- Johnny’s Seasonings
- King County Metro
- Kids bike Ride and hear inspirational stories from Miss Black Washington USA
- Creative Jewels
- Middleton Enterprises
- Lena’s Odds and Ends
- Destinations Unleashed/Paycation Travel
- Walk the route and learn about our amazing city with Feet First
- Gospel Music at Brighton Playfields with “God is”
- Seattle Annual Music and Jazz Cruise experts
- Hillman City Car Show
- South Seattle Community Picnic
- Bike Works
- Carbon Washington
- Family Bike Expo
- Friends of Cheasty Greenspace-Mountainview
- Inspired Child
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- PCC Natural Markets
- Department of Education and Early Learning Activities
- Smith Brothers Farms Free Samples
- Nancy’s Yogurt Samples
- United Healthcare Community Plan Activities
- Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
- Fostering Together
- King County Public Health Immunizations
- Springfree Trampolines
- Guided Pathways Support for Youth and Families
- Seahawk Play 60-NFL
- The Hope Heart Institute
- Athena’s Greek
- Kabob N’ Kabob
- The Cauldron Sandwiches, Soups and More