It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! Here’s a look at some of the bikey stuff floating around the web in recent weeks.
First up, Motor City to Bike City:
Pacific Northwest News
- Be heard: The Darrington Mountain Bike Park Open House and Survey
- Portland inks $10 million “BikeTown” deal with Nike as title sponsor of bike share system – BikePortland.org
- King County Planners Reject Urban Growth Area Expansion Proposals | The Urbanist
- Charge: Beer found in driver’s purse after deadly SeaTac wreck – seattlepi.com
- A Vision Impairment Simulation Tour of Seattle | SDOT Blog
- We Need More Options Across the Mountains | Seattle Transit Blog
- 1 dead, 1 hurt as car slams into pedestrians in SeaTac | KOMO
- Pedestrian killed by car on North Beacon Hill | The Seattle Times
- Five bike news stories to look forward to in 2016 – BikePortland.org
- Construction begins on Westlake cycle tracks | King 5 – More Westlake lawsuit threats!
- 15-year-old hurt in Puyallup hit-and-run crash | www.kirotv.com
- Motorcyclist dies after crashing on Westlake Avenue | The Seattle Times
- Child-Friendly Transit – Seattle Neighborhood Greenways
- Year of the Seattle urbanist? Not quite yet | Crosscut
- 12 new bike lanes planned for Vancouver over 5-year timeline | Vancity Buzz
- Plans moving ahead to close gap on Olympic Peninsula Trail » Biking Bis
- The Seattle Transit Map and Guide | Seattle Transit Blog
Halftime show! Any cartoon with a crying Donald Shoup discussing parking policy is going to get posted here (if you have a cable/sat login, you can watch the whole episode here).
National & Global News
- Americans Are Busy Buying Lots of Cars and Guns – Slog – The Stranger
- The Injustice of Peak Hour Myopia | streets.mn
- Reducing congestion: Katy didn’t | City Observatory – Should have built 24 lanes…
- Why cycling in high-vis may be not as safe as you think | The Guardian
- Johannesburg Just Finished A Month-Long Experiment To Get People To Stop Driving | Fast Coexist
- Why I Am Probably Going to Send the Drunk Driver Who Killed My Parents a Christmas Card – Features – The Stranger
- Stockholm’s ‘Reverse’ Congestion Charge Would Pay Cyclists With Driving Fees – CityLab
- Cyclists forced to carry photo identification and face big fines under new rules | SMH – smh is right. This is insanity.
- Meet the man who cycled the world for 50 years – Telegraph
- Cross-country Citi Biker actually made it to California | New York Post
- 10 years later, did the Big Dig deliver? – The Boston Globe
- $2 gasoline isn’t having the economic impact everyone thought it would – The Washington Post
- Germany opens first stretch of bicycle ‘autobahn’ | road.cc
- Police captain against Bike Yield Law – The San Francisco Examiner
- The Rise of the NFL Cycling Nerd – WSJ – Despite the stupid headline, the story is actually pretty good.
- Will the next Craigslist actually fight bike theft? – BikePortland.org – Ball’s in your court, Offerup. If you get this right and create a theft-free (or mostly theft-free) service, online classifieds are yours.
- Transit-Oriented Development Doesn’t Need Actual Transit | Governing.com
- Transportation For America – Think FAST – the good, the bad and the ugly in Congress’ new five-year transportation bill
- On the Value of Shared Bike Systems in Urban Environments: Evidence from the Real Estate Market by Konstantinos Pelechrinis, Marios Kokkodis, Theodoros Lappas :: SSRN
- Latest Trend in Protected Bike Lanes: Installation in One Year or Less | Streetsblog USA
- First Hill Pavement to Parks Ranks Top 3 for Best Urban Street Transformation 2015 | SDOT Blog
This is an open thread.