It’s time for the Bike News Roundup, our recurring collection of transportation news in the region and around the globe.
As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s a video from Ottawa imaging the city as a heart, major streets as arteries, and people as blood.
Pacific Northwest News
- The taxpayers on two wheels| Wenatchee World
- Health in Action: Seattle Bike Blog’s Tom Fucoloro – Hey, that’s me!
- Short on corporate cash, Puget Sound Bike Share faces uphill ride to Capitol Hill | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- Body found near Aberdeen believed to be hit-and-run victim | KING5.com Seattle
- Vancouver, Wash., woman live tweets about fatal crash, learns it’s her husband | The Today File | Seattle Times – Awful.
- Bike ride to Ballard locks to watch parade of holiday boats | Hub and Bespoke Blog
- Two kids struck by car while crossing Beacon Hill Drive
- Bike-friendly business highlight: the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation | Cascade Bicycle Club
- Man charged with murder of woman found near Burke-Gilman Trail | The Today File | Seattle Times
- Morning Fizz: Sawant Won Because… | Seattle Met
- Seattle Cranksgiving 2013 – Family style | Family Ride
- Conduit Coffee: Delivering Coffee by Bike | GO MEANS GO
- WSDOT – 2013 Corridor Capacity Report – Note that they’ve changed the name of the annual report from “Congestion Report.” Is this a sign the State DOT might focus more on moving people and goods in many ways rather than just focusing on moving vehicles?
- Tacoma Seeks Student Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisor – City of Tacoma
- How much auto parking do we need? City of Portland looks long-term | BikePortland.org
Halftime show! Check out this video from Obliteride (registration for the 2014 ride opens January 6):
National & Global News
- Mayor of Small Town: Kids Not Allowed to Bike on Streets Here : Free Range Kids
- U.S. traffic deaths up for first time since 2005, safety agency says – latimes.com
- Delaware Drops “Share the Road” | Streetsblog.net
- Shifting Gears: Commuting Aboard The L.A. Bike Trains : NPR
- Bike blog: London – no city for cyclists | Peter Walker | theguardian.com
- Activists Take Brooklyn Speed Limit Into Own Hands, Install 20mph Signs in Park Slope – WNYC
- The U.S. cities leading the decline in driving | Grist
- Citing nonexistent policy, Amtrak workers haul away Portlanders’ bikes – UPDATED | BikePortland.org
- Finally, a Bicycle Ad That’s as Sexy as One for a Car – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- ‘Fast & Furious’ star Paul Walker dies in crash
- Dad Arrested For Picking Up Kids At School By Foot ← The Urban Country
- St. Louis County Council puts Complete Streets legislation on hold : News