It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup!
Warning: Anybody with a heart condition should consult their doctor before watching this video:
Pacific Northwest News
- Traffic signal top priority for Lake Union District Council | Wallyhood
- Richard Conlin » MICROUNIT DEVELOPMENTS AKA “APODMENTS” – Conlin says a moratorium on microunit buildings (which often only provide bike parking) does not seem warranted. City will look into ways to regulate them.
- Clever designs blend style and functionality in Iva Jean’s bikewear « Cascade Bike Blog
- Woodinvillebicycle’s Photos : Stinky Spoke 2013
- Harrell’s Candidacy Further Diminishes McGinn’s Chances | Seattle Met
- Good Samaritan goes the extra mile after finding stolen bike | KATU.com – Portland
- Mike Seely Leaving Seattle Weekly on Jan. 31 – The Daily Weekly
- Fix This! Crosscut’s Design Review Board needs you
- 3-year-old Connell boy killed in driveway | Seattle Times
- Seattle Bag Ban Pronounced “Popular and Successful” | Slog
- Scenes of the John Wayne Pioneer rail-trail — then and now » Biking Bis
- Looking Back, Looking Ahead « Bike Style Life
- Sweat to save money? Seattle startup EveryMove tests the idea | Seattle Times
- Thinking Clearly About the Bike Master Plan – Seattle Transit Blog
- $1 million a month? Tickets from school-zone speed cameras quickly add up | The Seattle Times – Stop speeding near schools!
- Beacon Hill Blog » Car vs. house at 15th and Orcas
- Gimme your ice advice! « Family Ride
Here’s the difference between paint-separated bike lane & cycletrack:FedEx driver on cell phone drove 2 blocks in it twitter.com/familyride/sta…
— familyride (@familyride) January 12, 2013
- Interview with Car2Go CEO Nick Cole – Seattle Transit Blog
- Seattle Neighborhood Greenways | The City of Portland, Oregon – Seattle’s greenway organizers have something to teach Portland
- Thief returns stolen Vancouver bike with apology | KOMO News
- Rainier Valley Greenways draft planning timeline with National Park Service 2013 – If only all strategic plans looked like this
Halftime show! What do you think of this video, just in from Caspar Babypants?
National & Global News
- London Ice Sculpting Festival at Canary Wharf – Time Out London – In icy bike share bike
- Streetsblog Chicago – Grid Chicago is now becoming a Streetsblog site.
- Annual report on US bikesharing systems, 2012 – BeyondDC
- One way streets as “destinations”, just look at Manhattan | I Bike Toronto – One-way streets can create an unfriendly environment for people on foot. But would turning them two-way make it harder to put in protected bike lanes? What’s the best balance of economic development and safety here?
- Bikes and Buses Propel Mexico City to Sustainable Transport Award
- Why New York City Spends $7,000 Per Student on School Buses – The Atlantic Cities – NYC is struggling with a version of Washington’s school transportation crisis, but on a far worse scale. Imagine how big a bite we could take out of this bill if more kids could simply walk and bike to school.
- America pedaling toward more bike-friendly digs – Hudson Hub-Times
- America Is a Walking Disaster – The Atlantic Cities
- More protected lanes for bicyclists pop up in cities – USA Today says protected bike lanes encourage economic growth in cities.
- Why Does Lindsay Lohan Still Have A Driver’s License? « Systemic Failure
- Growing bike rack business run by homeless men | cleveland.com
- Federal Safe Routes to School program reduces child injuries by more than 40 percent in New York City – It really does work!
- Response to claim bike infrastructure investment is sexist. | Cycle Space
- It’s Nice That : Hundreds of bicycles make-up Ai Weiwei’s latest sculpture for Italian gallery
- Proximity Trumps Mobility: Smart Growth Maximizes Accessibility | Planetizen
- The day I hit a child at 20mph and realised the speed limit must be cut – The Independent – MUST READ. Why the Neighborhood safe speeds bill is important
- How to beat the rush hour traffic, Romanian style? Teenage inventor straps jet engine to his mountain bike | Mail Online
- 4 Reasons Retailers Don’t Need Free Parking to Thrive – The Atlantic Cities
- Alleged bicycle thief caught selling bike back to victim in sting with BART police | abc7news.com
- League of American Bicyclists * Legal Program/Bike Laws – Bike laws, state-by-state
- Houston’s Bike Share Program Takes A $750,000 Ride
- Inauguration will put Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes on display for the world
This is an open thread.