It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, this video of an airport completely covered in cars wrecked by Hurricane Sandy is incredible:
— Advertisement —
Pacific Northwest News
- I <3 Spokespeople Rides « Family Ride
- Mike McGinn Is Running for Reelection by Dominic Holden – The Stranger – “”I am also in better shape now,” he added, popping another egg.”
- Bicycle Swallowed by Tree in Washington State – ABC News – The Vashon bike in a tree makes national news again.
- Business Leaders Help Win Protected Bike Lanes in Portland | Streetsblog.net
- Bus/pedestrian collision investigation at Third and Stewart | SPD Blotter – The bus driver may have been under the influence.
- Group Forms to Promote Dense Single-Family Housing | Seattle Met
- Urban Adonia: Concern Trolling and Bike Helmets – Bike helmet arguments are a “red herring,” says Adonia. She’s right.
- SAVE THE DATE! Major Taylor Project Spinathon will be held Thursday, Feb. 21 « Cascade Bike Blog
- Better Institutions: Drunk driving prevention is difficult, but we already know what it takes
- Student Transportation: The $400 Million Question – Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- Traffic Affects the Poor and People of Color | Sightline Daily
- A Great 2012, an Even Better 2013! | Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- 3 options identified for pedestrian bridge – MukilteoBeacon.com
- Downtown Bellevue city planners prepare for another growth spurt – Puget Sound Business Journal – Could this effort be the start of awalkable and bikeable downtown Bellevue? I still say that Bellevue should beat Seattle to building a downtown cycle track. They’ve got all year to do it (probably).
- Market, waterfront link seen in terrace proposal | The Seattle Times
- Gas Tax is Still the Best – Seattle Transit Blog – While I don’t particularly like the idea of people with enough money to afford electric vehicles not paying the same taxes as people with crappy gas guzzlers, I’m inclined to agree with STB here.
Halftime show! Getting driven to and from school is soooo not cool
The Adventures of Accordo from Jeff Nixon on Vimeo.
National & Global News
- Classic Copenhagen: Be prepared – Should we criminalize public urination, or simply accommodate it?
- Why This CEO Doesn’t Own A Car: The Rise Of Dis-Ownership | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation
- NHTSA proposes sound standards to make quiet cars safer – Welcome to the FastLane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation
- Myth Busted: Safer Streets Are Not Slowing Emergency Responders | Streetsblog New York City
- Bikeleague.org Blog » Who Are the Important Players for Bicycling in the 113th Congress?
- A better Yosemite plan would have more bikes, fewer cars – latimes.com – Faced with heavy traffic issues, California gets rid of the … bike rentals?
- LaHood not included in White House list of Cabinet holdovers – The Hill’s Transportation Report
- Olympic Cyclist Dies After Being Hit By Taxi In South Africa : The Two-Way : NPR
- Streetfilms | Ad Nauseum: Let’s Just Keep Bashing the Bicycle!
- Australia Is So Hot, They Had to Add a New Color to the Weather Map – Technology – The Atlantic Cities
- The Cash for Clunkers Conundrum | EMagazine.com – Turns out, the environmental damage caused by cars isn’t solved by trading them for new cars.
- Here’s an airport entirely filled with cars wrecked in Hurricane Sandy | Grist – Incredible
- How Bicycling Is Transforming Business by Jay Walljasper — YES! Magazine