It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, the story behind East Harlem’s new protected bike lane:
Pacific Northwest News:
- At Large in Ballard: The Walking School Bus | Ballard News-Tribune
- Pedestrian struck, killed near 1st Avenue Bridge in Seattle | Seattle Times
- Op-ed: On its 50th birthday, Seattle Center’s potential has not been fulfilled | The Seattle Times – An opinion piece so bad, it ended a mayoral campaign before it even began.
- Fewer parking spaces in Seattle apartments likely to drive up prices | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest – This story misses the entire economic point of “free” parking. The “prices” it talks about are for parking spots, not for rent, food, entertainment (and on and on…) that would be cheaper if we didn’t spend so much money building parking spaces.
- Should texting fine go up to $372? – seattlepi.com – Yes.
- BikePortland.org » Man rear-ended while biking with child in trailer speaks out – Terrifying story.
- Sale | Velo Bike Shop – Shop is moving to Via6.
- Bikes and crafts and Momentum Mag | Bicitoro: bikes and crafts – Yay!
- Shop owner: With Mercer Mess, outlook ‘very dire and scary’ | KOMO News – This rarely happens when constructing bike facilities
- Sound Transit Board Wants To Accelerate ST3 Planning – Seattle Transit Blog
- New school-zone cameras catch 6,000 speeders | The Seattle Times – Should be standard at all schools. Money raised could fund Safe Routes to School!
- Seattle opening door to ‘floating’ car-share service including one-way trips, anywhere parking | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – This service will mesh well with bike share. Drive that heavy/awkward cargo one way, bike or transit back.
- Seattle soul-searching | Crosscut.com – I don’t see how cars in Pike Place Market make it better. Seriously, how is that street not deliveries-only by now?
- Boltbus is Not All That Nice – Sorry, Davey thinks your bus is poopy.
- Riding In Psych Lanes | Slog – Dan Savage is a masterful troll. A few keystrokes about biking on the sidewalk and BAM: Hundreds of people are all angry at each other (sigh…)
- Ed Murray’s Running for Mayor | Seattle Met – He seems to dance around talking about bikes. But he touts his ability to pass transportation funding packages, which McGinn has had trouble doing.
Halftime show! Forget neighborhood greenways, let’s build a network of these:
National & Global News:
- Why Traffic-Related Fatalities Are Rising After Years of Decline– New York Magazine – Ignoring some of the ridiculous paragraphs about how bike lanes make traffic deaths worse (right after saying they helped), and you’ve got an interesting piece. But the photo composite at the beginning is worth the click (too cool).
- Sun News : Cycling safest way to get around for young men: Study
- 6 Ideas Every City Should Steal From Barcelona – Design – The Atlantic Cities
- Russian drivers stranded in traffic jam for 3 days | The Seattle Times
- Obama Takes Another Swing at $50 Billion in Infrastructure Spending | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Elderly pedestrian killed in Seattle – seattlepi.com
- Capital Bikeshare expansion stalls due to lack of materials – The Washington Post – Yikes. More problems with Alta.
- Bicycle traffic signals get a green light
- Oh Dearborn! The 2-way protected bike lane is almost completely striped | Grid Chicago
- Vehicle Miles Traveled Statistics – Seattle Transit Blog – Spoiler: They are going down (even as population goes up!)
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Harbour Tunnel or a Better City? – Mikael doesn’t think very highly of CPH’s planned tunnel (join the party!)
- Alleged bicycle thief arrested – Admits he targeted bikes with cable locks. Seriously, buy your friends u-locks for the holidays.
- Surgeon General Announces Call to Action on Walking | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – The first step to cigarette-style warnings on cars?