It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always this is an open thread.
First up, if you think Seattle will never be as bike friendly in Amsterdam because cycling is just in their blood, think again. Here’s a great video depicting a dangerous, car-filled Amsterdam with few cycle paths (and, accordingly, relatively few people cycling). Remind you of any place?
Pacific Northwest News:
- Soul on Blast for Bike Works
- Walk on Queen Anne? Two Opportunities to Get Involved and Voice Your Opinion on Walkability » Queen Anne View
- Black Friday Seattle E-Bike Parade! | Seattle E-Bike
- New 520 Floating Bridge’s Pontoons are “Disaster,” Inspector Tells KOMO | The SunBreak
- Police car rolls over jaywalking suspect during downtown Portland arrest | OregonLive.com
- SDOT Blog » SDOT launches new Safe Routes to School bike program
- Iva Jean on Kickstarter with new chic bicycle apparel for women | Hub and Bespoke Blog – Iva Jean’s project has been funded.
- The W Thomas Street Overpass is officially open. Photo from Mayor McGinn:
- Bremerton woman killed in crash in Silverdale | Seattle Times
- BikePortland.org » The FHWA now controls some local streets: The latest on why that matters
Halftime show! What do you think of Transportation Alternative’s new video on how to use intersections in New York?
National & Global News:
- Bicycle Taxidermy | The loving and lasting solution for your mechanical bereavement
- Amazing new bike helmet reads your mind | Grist
- Why Traffic Deaths Are More Common in Red States Than in Blue States | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- BBC News – Council teaches people to use new Leek road crossing
- Green Lane Project
- School District Threatens Rockville Mom for Putting Her Child on City Bus | Streetsblog.net
- Gift Guide for Cyclists: unique, local, hand-made | Bicitoro: bikes and crafts
- One for the Dustbin: The 85th Percentile Rule in Traffic Engineering | Streetsblog.net
- Young People Are Driving Less—And Not Just Because They’re Broke | Transportation on GOOD