It’s the weekly bike news roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s an Aussie heltmet law parody video promoting mandatory life jacket laws. Of course, just like the helmet law, King County actually already has a life jacket law.
Pacific Northwest News:
- BikePortland.org » A lane of respect on the Broadway Bridge – A simple line of cones can go a long way to make cycling more comfortable and safe.
- New York City Shows Us How It’s Done | Slog – Dan Savage invites readers to explain all the reasons why New York’s protected cycle lanes can’t work in Seattle
- Thief returns stolen bike, leaves apology letter – KCPQ
- Amazon Buys in to Same-Day Employee-Delivery System Called “Streetcar” | The SunBreak
- 2 Mile Challenge raises $8,078 for the Cascade Bicycle Club Education Foundation « Cascade Bike Blog
- Seattle road rage and the death of Yancy Noll | The Seattle Times – This column is ridiculous. Traffic doesn’t shoot people in the head.
- Biking Seattle » Bike maps are the best maps
- Transportation Nag: What if you can’t walk?
- Move-a-Thon « Family Ride
- Victim of Des Moines hit and run dies Saturday | Seattle Times – Again, Seattle media, hit and run is NOT an “accident.” It is a felony.
- Amazon buying Seattle HQ from Paul Allen for $1.16B – GeekWire – I can’t help but hope this is a good sign for South Lake Union cycling. Amazon employees like bikes, while Vulcan has done little to help people on bikes (in fact, their SLU Streetcar made things worse)
- Supreme Court says pollution tax on gasoline is constitutional | seattlepi.com – A promising sign? Can we start unraveling WA Amendment 18 now?
- Dunshee and Cascade volunteers go bike-belling in the 44th District « Cascade Bike Blog
- Biking Seattle » Finding the character of the city – Seriously, y’all should be reading this blog!
Halftime show! This video has been making the rounds on the web the past few days. While it is entertaining to see someone do trials tricks on an actual Tour de France, full-carbon road bike, WTF IS WITH THE SEXIST WD-40 BULLSHIT AT THE END!? I didn’t see it the first time because I turned the video off at the credits, but Grease Rag caught it and is all over it.
And for the record, WD-40 is not bike lube. Never use it on your chain. It will make things worse (and, apparently, more sexist).
Grease Rag recommends you watch this bad ass 14-year-old young woman instead:
National & Global News:
- ‘Don’t take out a cyclist’: New York City’s campaign to end dooring | Capital New York
- Mr. B’s Joy Box Express plans bicycle trip down Mississippi » Biking Bis – Biking band hauling a piano with them.
- MassDOT Secretary: “We Will Build No More Superhighways” | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – WSDOT, let’s get with the program!
- Single mom opens women’s bike shop – Oct. 8, 2012 – Great story.
- Bikeleague.org Blog » 120,000 People, 0 Cars – Come on, Seattle, let’s throw a center city ciclovia!
- The trials of cycling in bike-hostile Moscow – seattlepi.com – Yikes. Moscow sounds like a rough place to bike.
- Shift Happens!: Critical Mass at 20: Amazon.com: Books
- Yolanda Davis-Overstreet: Sharing the Story of African American Cyclists | The Bicycle Story
- CicLAvia Successfully Rides Again | Streetsblog Los Angeles – Want.
- Dallas City Council to vote on bicycle-passing ordinance to govern interaction between drivers and bicyclists | City Hall Blog – They actually needed to vote on whether or not it’s OK to throw things at people on bikes.
- Kansas and Florida Reverse Course on Spurned Trails Funding | Streetsblog.net – Great news! All 50 states keep trail funding.
- Cher the Road. | elephant journal – Do you believe in cyclists’ right to the road? (to the road?…to the road?…to the road?…)
- Fatality Tracker: Cyclist avoids dooring and falls under wheels of semi truck | Grid Chicago – So sad.
- Touring market racks up mileage at retail | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News – The bike touring industry boom is very real in Seattle.
- The case for equal prize money in bike racing | Taking the Lane
- Grimes City Council approves restriction on bicycle travel | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs – Boo!