It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s one way to advertise your bus service:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Brave driver confronts Portland’s rabid cyclists | Grist
- Hub and Bespoke: Worth a Bikespedition All Its Own « Bike Style Spokane – New Bicycle Alliance of Washington ED visits Hub & Bespoke
- Shifting into Reverse | Sightline Institute – Gasoline consumption in the Northwest is down to levels last seen 50 years ago because we are driving less.
Ooh, I think these are new speed bumps at 16th Ave W @ Ship Canal Trail (under Ballard Bridge approach). Much needed! twitter.com/familyride/sta…
— familyride (@familyride) September 17, 2012
- Transportation Nag: Reclaiming the Arboretum: A Cautious Hooray for Sharrows and Speed Bumps – Have you noticed the new Lake Washington Blvd speed bumps?
- BikePortland.org » Family biking skills on display at ‘Fiets of Parenthood’
- Biker mama: Mother of six ditches SUV for super-sized bike – TODAYMoms – Emily Finch is now a global sensation…
- …and here she is
conspiringeating with some Seattle family bike folks
- Helmet law could be bump in the road for Vancouver’s bike-share program – The Globe and Mail
- Weekend Recap in Pictures- camping + cylce the WAVE « Yoga for Bikers – Includes photo of me biking into the fog on a recent bike camping trip
- Seattle Design Festival September 20th-23rd – Seattle Transit Blog
- Two pedestrians hit in North Seattle, suspect truck takes off | SPD Blotter
- Lander Street Overcrossing and SODO Transit – Seattle Transit Blog
- Kent’s Bike Blog: So I Went Automobile Shopping… – Love this post. I wonder if he sprung for the headlight add-on…
- University Environmental and Cleantech Innovators Awarded $22,500 | Energy Blog – seattlepi.com – Check out Wallingford-based LionTail Cycle’s solar-powered electric Xtracycle.
- 11 Seattle intersections bad for pedestrians – seattlepi.com
- Uff Da! Ballard Defies Trend Toward Cycling on Safer Streets | The SunBreak
- Eastside: Preserve options for rails and trails on BNSF corridor | The Seattle Times – Rail/Trail combo would be cool, but would this be a good corridor for transit? Definitely worth looking into, though.
- Motorcycle test aimed at improving safety – The Olympian
- Alaskan Way Viaduct: More Revenue Shortfalls Expected | Sightline Daily – Yup, the deep bore tunnel still doesn’t make sense. In fact, it seems to make less and less sense the closer we get to actually digging in.
Halftime show! Sexism at Interbike and in the bike industry in general is the talk of the week (see links below). Meanwhile, here’s a look at the fashion show during the recent Women’s Bike Summit in Longbeach. Discuss.
National & Global News:
- Is this thing sexist? Introducing the “Bike Test” | Taking the Lane – Must read.
- Bike-Share and Bike Lanes: The Chicken and Egg Debate | Streetsblog.net – The solution: Both! Duh.
- The Case for Keeping Seattle’s Streets Messy – The Atlantic Cities – Having lived in cities with perfect grids, I love Seattle’s messy street layout. The key it to not overcompensate by making complicated intersections dangerous in an attempt to move cars more quickly.
- Examiner prints incendiary anti-bike cover – Greater Greater Washington
- Pro Walknomics/Pro Bikenomics | Streetsblog Los Angeles
- Study: 10% More Smart Growth = 20% Less Driving | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Bike Helmet Sticker Automatically Calls For Help If It Detects A Fall – PSFK – It’s depressing there is even the idea that this is needed. Hit-and-run is so prevalent, I can see why people might want to get a helmet sticker that calls 911 for you instead of counting on the driver to stop.
- Proposed Rickenbacker wall comes with toll for bicyclists – Are there any other examples of bike tolls? Sounds like a weird way to encourage more cycling.
- To the Triathlete Who Used a Capital Bikeshare Bike at Nation’s Tri: We Salute You: DCist
- Helmet company is misrepresenting dangers of cycling, says lawyer | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz
- Planning Commission Approves Parking-Free 1050 Valencia Project | Streetsblog San Francisco – We need more parking-free and parking-light projects.
- Cyclelicious » Iowa town bans bikes – Sigh…
- Highway Safety for Sale in Texas | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Yikes!
- The Unknown Story of the Major Taylor, the Cycling Champion Who Broke the Color Barrier | Past Imperfect
- NRDC Poll: Americans Support New Transit Twice as Much as New Roads | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – This is great.
- How Highway Spending Could Become as Transparent as Bike/Ped Spending | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Almost Every State Chooses to Retain Recreational Trails Funding | Streetsblog.net
- Communication breakdown: Bikers and critics just can’t see eye to eye | The Villager Newspaper
- FHWA Offers a Guide for American Cities and Towns Considering Bike-Share | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Suggests not mandating helmets, citing the relative safety of such systems. This is the Feds suggesting this, not some European bike club or Cycle Chic website.
- Olympic cyclists back calls to make the streets safer | The Times