It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup. It’s a long one, so I hope you didn’t have any work to do today. As always, this is an open thread.
In case you were not already aware, people have a history of fighting changes in the city. This incredible photo from MOHAI shows citizens fighting the now loved Burke-Gilman Trail, which has become a cornerstone of life in North Seattle. Could you imagine our city without it?
That photo reminds me of this genius tweet:
“Some people see the world as it is and ask why. I see the world as it could be and ask where will they all park”- inspirational NIMBY
— SharrowsDC (@sharrowsDC) August 3, 2012
Pacific Northwest News:
- Greenways Get Going In Fremont « FREMOCENTRIST Commentary
- Man, dog killed in hit-and-run near Index | www.kirotv.com
- First Impressions of Seattle Biking « Bike Style Spokane
- Bike Smut returns to Seattle – August 19 at 20/20 Cycles
- With a 3 Speed Linus Bike You Too Can Conquer the Hills – Seattle Day 2 | BikingFoodie – Also a lesson to the city: People will keep biking on Aurora because it is the most direct route unless we make it clear there is another option (or better yet, let’s make it a safer route, at least over the bridge)
- The Case of the Bloody Man and the Missing Bird | SPD Blotter
- BikePortland.org » Women who conquered Tour de France route now set to tell the tale
- Will I Get Sued For Stealing My Bike Back? | blog.mattgoyer.com – A new twist in Matt’s adventure to steal his bike back.
- Bikelava – Artisan Peddled Baklava – They are working to get permits to come up to Seattle once a week!
- Woman jogging on Burke-Gilman trail hit by car in crosswalk | KING5.com Seattle
- Driver tells officer, ‘It’s OK, I’m home,’ after crash into… | www.kirotv.com – Crashed into a state patrol office.
- The business of parks is leisure | Danny Westneat | The Seattle Times Not really transportation-related, but a good read.
- “I don’t hurt when I’m on the bike.” « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- BikePortland.org » Hitting the wall (in a good way) with Seattle-based yoga instructor Kelli Refer – The zine is available now!
- Neighborhood Matching Fund now accepting applications for neighborhood projects
- How Much Do Drivers Pay for a Quicker Commute? | Sightline Daily – For all the complaining people do about traffic, you think they’d be more willing to put their money where their mouths are…
- Teen hosts bicycle rodeo for his Eagle Scout project « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in Kirkland crash; DUI suspected – seattlepi.com
Halftime show! This one’s a bit terrifying:
National & Global News:
- Olympic surprise: London traffic moving fine – seattlepi.com
- Voter ID Laws Marginalize People Without a Car | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Because a driver’s license is an ID…
- Olympic Track-Cycling Pacer Follows Custom by Riding Slowly – NYTimes.com – This guy has rad style (even if his bike is gas-powered)
- Bikeyface » Jaybikers – This and the next link go nicely together. Why we need proper, common sense bike facilities: Without them, there is no clear consensus on what is the best way to ride (bikes are not pedestrians, and they’re not cars).
- If Kant Were a New York Cyclist – NYTimes.com
- Chattanooga bicycle company helped create Mars rover Curiosity | Nooga.com – Continuing the tradition of the Wright Bros, bike makers forge the inspiring technology of the future.
- City To Build More Than 30 Miles Of New Bike Lanes « CBS Chicago – I like the idea of reporting on bikes from a helicopter
- Study: Obesity Increases Driver’s Risk Of Being In Car Accident « CBS Seattle
- TA: Most City Pedestrians and Cyclists Killed by Drivers Who Broke the Law | Streetsblog New York City
- The Bicycle Uprising: Remembering the Midtown Bike Ban 25 Years Later | Streetsblog New York City
- Make cycling proficiency a compulsory part of driving licence | Tom Richards | guardian.co.uk – YES! What would it take to make this happen in Washington?
- Man texts ‘I need to quit texting’ before crash | Technically Incorrect – CNET News
- Cyclist Killed After Being Hit By Olympic Bus
- Manhattan Court Sends Erring Cyclists to Remedial Class – NYTimes.com
- The federal government wants to pay for your electric bicycle | Grist