It’s time for the Tuesday Bike News Roundup. Here are some links from around the region and the globe for your reading pleasure. As always, this is an open thread.
First up, Kona thinks Portland is cool (spoiler alert: It’s because of all the biking):
Pacific Northwest News:
- Reminder: Ravenna Blvd resurfacing project is underway « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Residents Question Parking, Pedestrian Access at Northgate Light Rail Station | PubliCola
- Schools Shout Out Series! Pt 1: Elementary schools riding with us in May « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- The Secret to Seattle’s Booming Downtown – Jobs & Economy – The Atlantic Cities
- Seattle ‘Regulatory Reform’ could push mixed-use deeper into Capitol Hill | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – Or as the Seattle Times put it: OMG! The city wants to make it harder to park!
- SPD Blotter » Hit & Run to Parking Enforcement Officer
- Disturbing Seattle public servant tweet of the week:
Seattle PD ticketing a transient for no helmet. twitter.com/andrew_f_marti…
— andrew f martin (@andrew_f_martin) March 23, 2012
- Fun Seattle public servant tweet of the week:
SCL job perk: construction inspections by bike. twitpic.com/91np6b
— Meghan Pinch (@megbikes) March 26, 2012
Halftime show: How can America translate bikeway design from the Netherlands?
National and Global News:
- Bike-Share Programs are Wanted In Red States Too | Transportation Issues Daily – Seriously, Seattle? Oklahoma City is going to start a bike share system before we do?
- Infographic: When Reagan, the GOP, and Democrats Doubled the Gas Tax | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- French Market hoping bike racks will help attract locals | NOLA.com
- Americans Hit The Brakes On NASCAR : NPR
- Riding Our Way Fit – Not Thin* — an intermittent record
- Why Are Three Out of Four Cyclists on the Street Men? | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Biking Bis – National Bike Challenge: Ride bike, log miles, repeat
- Go Means Go! » The Bike Butterfly. By Brompton.
- Why Bicyclists Are Better Customers Than Drivers for Local Business | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- A Bike Company Offers a Prescription for America’s Health Care Cost Crisis | Streetsblog New York City
- Walkonomics » Improving Street Walkability Reduces Crime
- Jugs of urine, butts part of oil-patch odor issue – North Dakota has a disgusting problem.
- The Bike-sharing Blog: India’s Bike-sharing Tipping Point
- Slow to Cycle San Diego – USP Senior Sequence Class of 2012 Video Projects on Vimeo – Features Seattle Bike Blog (for like a half second)!