It’s time for the Tuesday Bike News Roundup! This is an open thread.
First up, a fantastic reminder that we can undo our urban design mistakes. First Utrecht demolished their urban center to make way for cars. Then they undid it.
Pacific Northwest News:
- West Seattle Blog… » West Seattle Greenways hears from Councilmember Rasmussen
- SDOT Blog » A Bridge to Nowhere – Right Now – That Is – Update on Airport Way bridge work
- Crossing guard hit by truck near Stevens Elementary – Spokesman.com
- Freeing Food Carts | Sightline Daily – Come on, Seattle, let’s make it easier for food carts to operate
- U.S. Senate Passes Transportation Bill: What It Means for Bikes and What’s Next « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Walking news roundup « Walking in Seattle – In case you need even more stuff to read (and yes, this means Seattle now has separate transit, biking and walking news roundups!)
- BikePortland.org » The case for neighborhood greenways: Portland’s ‘bus system for biking and walking’
- Drunken drivers’ death toll is high | Seattle Times Newspaper – “More people are killed by drunken drivers in Washington state than by all other criminals combined.” – Statement declared “mostly true” by Truth Needle. That is insane.
- First RAW monthly ride « Family Ride
- Spokane Bike Swap – March 24-25
- Woman hit by Metro bus in downtown Seattle | Seattle Times Newspaper – It’s time to declare 3rd/Pine a public safety emergency and do something drastic to decrease crime and pedestrian safety.
- April Spokespeople Ride from DubSea « Spokespeople – April 1!
- Seeding the Grassroots: Portland’s newest bike advocacy group | Taking the Lane – Awesome. Must read.
- West Seattle Blog… » Followup: Duwamish Trail repaving work done, ‘for now’
- About Cascade Bicycle Club: Job Openings – There’s a buncha them.
Halftime show! Seattle’s own Telaio made a wool cycling wedding suit. I always cry at cycling weddings…
National and Global News:
- Aspen man recovers bicycle that ‘Drunk’ left at courthouse | AspenTimes.com
- Apple to Build Sprawl-Tastic Corporate Headquarters in Cupertino | Streetsblog.net
- Goodbye-ways: The downfall of urban freeways | Grist
- For the Tech Sector, Bikes are the New Cars | Transportation Nation – Dear cities: BIKES = JOBS
- Here’s to aesthetic interventions in potholes near you « MyWHaT – Love these fantastic pothole gardens
- Open Thread: The Volvo Pedestrian Airbag | Streetsblog New York City – The fact that the safety of people hit by cars is not already a serious concern for car makers is shocking.
- Idaho proposal would ban bicyclists from riding side by side in traffic | OregonLive.com – Boo!
- Is the Biker Rights Movement Gaining Momentum? – Commute – The Atlantic Cities – Harassment is harassment whether you are behind the wheel, behind the handlebars or on foot. I don’t get why this is so complicated.
- Lovely Bicycle!: Understanding Hills – “what does it really mean when terrain is described as “hilly?””
- Biking Bis – Senate passes transportation bill with funding for local bicycle projects – Yay!
- House Won’t Take Up Senate Transpo Bill as March 31 Deadline Looms | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Boo!
- The only solution to high gas prices — with charts! | Grist
- In Houston, Transportation Costs Can Outpace Housing Costs | Transportation Nation
- Program Aims to Make the Streets of San Francisco Easier to Park On – NYTimes.com
- Casey Neistat: Bike Thief
- The Ovarian-Psycos Bicycle Brigade Make a Space for Women on the Eastside | Streetsblog Los Angeles
- Runnymede cyclists’ dismay after Furey appointment – Outspoken British bike hater given Olympic transportation job
— America Bikes (@AmericaBikes) March 16, 2012
- Bikes and Business: Can Cities Cycle Their Way To Prosperity? | Xconomy
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: GPS For Cyclists in Malmö, Sweden
- Would Roads Be Safer and Greener Without Red Lights? – Environment – GOOD – Traffic controls take drivers out of the realm of real social interactions
- Caption Contest: Chuck Schumer Rides the Prospect Park West Bike Lane | Streetsblog New York City – Not so bad, is it Chuck?
- Next American City » INTERVIEW: John Norquist and Our Congestion Obsession
- The Urban Country Bicycle Blog: Rural Bike Infrastructure in the Netherlands
- BikePortland.org » Alta Bicycle Share wins Chicago contract; responds to questions about selection process
- Figuring out how many CMAQ projects are for roads | Steven Can Plan – Non-road projects are far more effective at improving air quality (and they cost less)
- Children in low-income neighborhood with special walking/bike trail exercised more / American Heart Association
- Race to the Bottom: The Sad State of Public Discourse on Gas Prices | Streetsblog.net – Our nation is simply incapable of a rational discussion about gas prices.
- National Bike Summit Mobilizes Hundreds to “Save Cycling”
Whew. You made it to the end! That’s a lot of info to take in. You’ve earned a reward: Darth Vader riding a unicycle while playing the Imperial March on bagpipes: