It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! First up, you know how the 2nd Ave bike lane is commonly considered the worst bike lane in Seattle? Well, here’s the tweet of the week:
— Michael C. Lindblom (@MikeLindblom) June 26, 2013
Pacific Northwest News
- School Road Safety – English Survey – Have you taken the city’s school road safety survey yet (geared toward current parents and students)
- DPD to Double Required Parking for aPodments | Seattle Transit Blog
- Vancouver’s Bike-Sharing Conundrum (And Three Simple Solutions) | HUSH Magazine – Mentions Seattle’s idea of making helmets a secondary offense for adults (more about that here)
- Winslow (Un)Paves the Way | Crosscut.com – If only they had also included a quality bike lane…
- Racing to catch up with Seattle’s bike culture | Opinion Northwest | Seattle Times – The Seattle Times ed board continues to see the light.
- Victim of high-profile crash: State’s DUI bill doesn’t go far enough | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times – It’s something, but we owe Dan better.
- Sprocketts Recycled Bicycles | Home of the true recycled bicycle – Now open at 21st/Thorndyke.
- Man with cane critically injured in apparent hit-and-run | KOMO News
- Urban Adonia: Does Culture Matter In Urban Design?
- Car Warrior Orcutt: “Sad” When Bikers Die, But What About the Drivers? | Seattle Met – Yeah, what about drivers? They deserve complete streets, too!
- Brent Toderian: Tear Down Those Viaducts, Vancouver – Vancouver, which famously does not have urban freeways, is now considering removal of two road viaducts that are about as close to freeways as they’ve got.
- An update to that Sound Transit bike ad campaign: Now the cat is on a bike, too, Familyride points out:
- Capitol Hill’s first parklet — trading parking for park space — coming in August | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – A solid trade.
- BikePortland.org » Crater Lake official: Make carfree Rim Drive an annual event – The biggest reason Crater Lake isn’t higher on my list: I hear biking around it is not super fun when it’s packed with cars.
- SDOT Seeks Comments on Aurora BAT Lanes | Seattle Transit Blog
- Commercial Real Estate: Developers capitalize on the rise of cycling’s popularity – Puget Sound Business Journal
- BikePortland.org » 94% of bike riders wait at red lights, study finds
- BikePortland.org » Downtown Portland bike theft reports plummeted 60% last year
- Introducing The Magazine – Bike Hugger
- Bicycle Urbanism Symposium Bits ( #UWBikeUrb ) (with images, tweets) · AndreaLearned · Storify
- Imagine If Seattle Were a City-State | Slog – Perhaps a bit rosy, but seriously. Come on, Washington State, throw us a bone here.
— familyride (@familyride) June 24, 2013
- BikePortland.org » Dispatch from Disaster Relief Trials in Seattle
- Two injured critically when van speeds past stop sign | Seattle Times
- Nanny pushes child in stroller to safety before car strikes her | Seattle Times – Wow. She deserves a hell of a raise.
- “Bodies were flying:” Girl watches as little sisters are run over | KATU.com Portland
- Cyclist viciously beaten by skateboarders in downtown Seattle | KOMO News
Halftime show! Here’s a video about US cycling infrastructure, narrated by a dry, unimpressed Dutch person:
National & Global News
- Highway Expansion Encourages More Than Just Driving – NYTimes.com
- US cycling from a Dutch perspective | BICYCLE DUTCH
- The Dutch Prize Their Pedal Power, but a Sea of Bikes Swamps Their Capital – NYTimes.com – What a great problem to have!
- Bicycle Revolutions | Worldwide Cycling Atlas – Things are changing everywhere…
- Bear vs. Bike: Cyclist Hits 300-Pound Black Bear : TreeHugger
- Bike Helmet Legislation In Canada Did Not Reduce Head Injuries | Systemic Failure
- TheWashCycle: In Defense of Sharrows
- Open house held for N Street bikeway project – KLKNTV.com – Lincoln, Nebraska is planning a downtown cycle track.
- 10 Brilliant Pieces of Bike Infrastructure – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- Bike Law University: Mandatory Use of Separated Facilities | League of American Bicyclists
- Stolen high-end bikes auctioned online even before theft – The Japan Daily Press – Incredible.
- Ban bicycles from our main streets | Editorial | Edmonton Sun – Sigh…
- Andrew Gilligan: Figures show why we must invest in cycle schemes – London Evening Standard
- Sun reporter gets an understanding of cyclists | Toronto Sun – This is great.
- A Helmet That Automatically Steers You to the Nearest Bike-Share Station – John Metcalfe – The Atlantic Cities
- Madrid’s bin men told to wear cycle helmets – Telegraph