It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s video of a bike facility in Indianapolis that will make your jaw drop. Also, the effort was heavily supported by the city’s Republican mayor. Change is coming to the United States…
Pacific Northwest News
- SDOT Blog » The 2013 Walk Bike Ride Challenge Partners with Luum – Challenge is going now.
- Roy or Prospect still viable for streetcar’s last stop on Capitol Hill | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- BikePortland.org » Crater Lake’s Rim Drive will be carfree for first time this weekend only – So awesome. Wish I could go!
- BikePortland.org » Editorial: So much carnage on our streets, yet so little response
- The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine – Interesting 2003 story comparing PDX, Seattle and Vancouver. How are we doing ten years later?
- West Seattle Blog… » Followup: City Council proposes full funding for long-sought 47th/Admiral traffic signal
- New trolley buses coming by 2015, City boosts county’s service on nine key Seattle lines | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – Hooray for not-smelly trolley buses!
- Monday Jolt: Council Scuttles McGinn’s Proposed Ship Canal Bridge Study | Seattle Met – Road safety money stays, some funds move to West Seattle projects.
- Bellevue CEO placed on probation for ramming juvenile with SUV | Seattle Times – Probation…
- Group wants Tacoma women to ride bicycles | Outdoors – The News Tribune
Halftime show! And this is a long one. Here’s John Pucher’s entire two-hour talk from Tuesday evening, via Seattle Neighborhood Greenways:
National & Global News
- A view from the cycle path: Health, Wealth and Happiness. The benefits of cycling last through your life – Interesting look at what a bike-friendly suburb could be like
- Feds Investigating Alta Bicycle Share Over DC Pay Dispute – WNYC
- Citi Bike Fail Rate Drops Sharply – WNYC – Good sign.
- Cars and trucks don’t kill pedestrians and cyclists; people kill pedestrians and cyclists. : TreeHugger
- After Hollywood outcry, Spring Street bike lanes lose some paint – latimes.com – Might be the worst reason to remove a bike safety facility ever.
- Bicycling: The SAFEST Form of Transportation | Mr. Money Mustache – Because I usually get my transportation advice from Mr. Money Mustache… (he lost me about 1/4 of the way through his math)
- Foldable Bike Helmets: Will They Ever Get Off the Ground? – John Metcalfe – The Atlantic Cities
- China warns it will execute serious polluters | Grist – Execute!