It’s time for the (somewhat) weekly Bike News Roundup! First up, here’s the Republican mayor of Indianapolis on why investing in bike infrastructure is vital for every city, no matter the political leaning:
Pacific Northwest News
- BikePortland.org » Kids are the true indicator species of a bike-friendly city
- Bellingham’s Naked Bike Ride will roll Friday afternoon | Bellingham Herald – The News Tribune
- Man jumps from burning car in SeaTac | Seattle Times – This will never happen to your bike
- Four Bicycling Program AmeriCorps Internships available for 2013-14 « Cascade Bike Blog
- Ballard Bike Street Party | Family Ride
- Why I Ride Fearlessly Without A Helmet | Slog – Stranger intern dives head-first into the helmet debate hornet’s nest
Halftime show! I’ve been sent a link to this video countless times. Even my mother, who lives nowhere close to New York and does not ride a bike, sent me this link with a note about how condescending and ridiculous these WSJ commentators are. So, get ready to for the bikelash, brought to its logical (or, rather, illogical) conclusion:
National & Global News
- Driver who ran over bicyclist gets seven years – KansasCity.com
- San Francisco | Dots on the Bus – This is a cool visual that is being developed into an app
- 1948 Bike With 13 Shotguns Probably Wouldn’t Fly Today | Raw File | Wired.com – How dangerous… they’re not wearing any helmets!
- Study: AASHTO Guidelines for Bikes Outdated, Not Based on Research | Mobilizing the Region
- 100 Urban Trends: Bike Politics — BMW Guggenheim Lab | LAB|log – A quick recap of how the politics surrounding bicycles has shifted over the past century and a half
- Meet Bay Area Bike Share | Streetsblog San Francisco – The Puget Sound Bike Share bikes will likely be very similar to these
- Painting Your Own Crosswalk: Crime or Civic Opportunity? – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- Urban Bicycling Is For Lazy People ← The Urban Country – Yup.
- The BananaHama Bikes Project by BananaHama LLC. — Kickstarter – So, uh, well, a bike that looks like a banana and has a hammock for a saddle now exists.
- Political elite block Boise transit hub | Transportation | Idahostatesman.com – Yikes, these politicians really hate people who use transit.
- Bicyclist struck by driver on bike trail – WTOP.com
- How to Change the World with Bikes: A Russian Activist’s Lesson : The New Yorker – Remind not to book my next bike vacation to Moscow.
This is an open thread.