It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s how you can turn a couple parking lots into a boom for your business:
Pacific Northwest News
- The Fight Against Small Apartments by Dominic Holden – The Stranger
- Where Are My Cars: SR-167 HOT Lanes | Sightline Daily – WSDOT has a serious traffic growth prediction problem.
- City librarians to bring services to popular community events by bike this summer « Cascade Bike Blog
- Trikes race down Queen Anne Hill for beer | Picture This | The Seattle Times
- Community celebrates completion of 33rd Avenue pedestrian improvements | Lake City Live
- Cyclists Aren’t the Ones “Digging In Their Heels” On Burke-Gilman Trail | Seattle Met
- Man trying to help drunk cyclist ends up getting him arrested | KOMO News
- Woman dies following collision with stolen pickup in Everett | Seattle Times
- Seattle man dribbling soccer ball to Brazil killed in Oregon | Seattle Times
- State Senate panel OK’s changes to DUI laws | Seattle Times
- Driver cited for DUI in collision that left Zipcar upside down on E Madison | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- Commute Challenge sponsor Adobe achieves BizCycle Gold « Cascade Bike Blog
- Commute Challenge Lessons Learned: Part 1 | Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- “Linking cycling and transportation, you can get most anywhere.” « Cascade Bike Blog
Halftime show! Denver has come a long, long way since 1976. For example, the photo below shows an epic parking crater…
…but today that area has a bustling pedestrian-only street that looks like this (video is shot from that tower you see in the photo. The black building next to the tower is the one on the left side of the frame):
National & Global News
- Cyclists Are Special, and They Should Have Their Own Rules | Streetsblog.net
- ‘Cycle tweet’ girl breaks her silence | Anglia – ITV News – Hit and run is a despicable crime. Bragging about it on Twitter afterwards? Yikes.
- The Granddaddy of Sprawl Subsidies, Illustrated | Streetsblog.net
- HelmetHub: Bicycle Helmet Vending Machines Rolling Out in Boston
- Women Lead the Way For Future Growth of Cycling in North America – Momentum Mag
- BikePortland.org » You’re not as visible on a bike at night as you think, new study shows
- BikePortland.org » Urban Cycling Hall of Fame will put spotlight on ‘urban bike movement’
- Next Boondoggle From Wisconsin DOT: Double-Decking Milwaukee Freeway | Streetsblog.net – Seriously?
- The Inequitable Toll of Pedestrian Deaths | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Bike Trains are the Lightest Rail | LADOT Bike Blog