It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! Here are some tips for winter biking in Chicago, which is way colder than Seattle. Here, I would suggest just wearing whatever you would wear to go for a walk in the cold. Investing in good gloves and wearing extra socks could be a good idea, though.
Pacific Northwest News
- Inslee calls for innovative transportation package that includes bikes « Cascade Bike Blog
- After a successful first season, Bikelava rolls into a bigger, better New Year « Cascade Bike Blog
- What Happened to the Neighborhood Blogs? by Anna Minard – The Stranger – In which I talk to the Stranger about life in independent online news and my appendix
- New bills in Leg re: helmets, veterans and child crisis care | Seattle Times – Motorcycle helmets are back on the agenda (not bike helmets, don’t worry)
- Group files petition to divide Seattle by council districts | Seattle Times – I’m uncertain about this
- Seattle Department of Transportation: Center City Connector – Transit Alternatives Analysis – Downtown streetcar connector conversations starting. Great chance to expand downtown cycle track network.
- UXBlog | IDV Solutions’ User Experience: People Dots: Seattle Area Commuting
- “I love Seattle, and I love biking. I want those to mesh together.” « Cascade Bike Blog
- How to Combine Bicycles and Public Transit — Walk Score Blog
- Call for submissions: Bikes in Space | Taking the Lane
- Stolen Motorcycle On Queen Anne Leads Police to More Motorcycles, Bikes, and Computers In Eastlake | SPD Blotter
- Yeah, we’ve got an agenda « Cascade Bike Blog
- Can We Finally Declare Peace in the ‘War on Cars’? – The Atlantic Cities
Halftime show! Video of the recent NACTO conference in New York:
National & Global News
- Michele Traverso, Driver In Hit-And-Run That Killed Aaron Cohen, Sentenced To 364 Days In Jail (VIDEO) – Family was expecting much more time.
- Can an App Get People to Walk More? – The Atlantic Cities
- Road Diets Are Changing American Cities for the Better | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – They even work in Orlando!
- The Urban Country Bicycle Blog: Paying Employees To Bike To Work
- DC Bike Lanes in National Spotlight Thanks to Inauguration | Washingtonian
- LaHood Says He’s Staying On as Transportation Secretary – Bloomberg
- Over a Barrel: Why is City Hall barring Pedal Pub from operating? | Grid Chicago – Sound familiar?
- Voice-Operated Texting While Driving: As Unsafe As It Ever Was – The Atlantic Cities – Hands-free is NOT a solution to the problem.
- House Transportation Subcommittee Chairs Announced | Transportation Issues Daily
- Bicimetro Eco Bahn: Elevated Bike Tunnels Let Cyclists Soar Above Congested City Traffic | Inhabitat – Huh?
- City Transport: It’s About Moving People, Not Vehicles | Perspectives on development
- Could These Crazy Intersections Make Us Safer? – The Atlantic Cities – How traffic engineers will destroy the world (if we let them)
This is an open thread.