It’s time for the Tuesday Bike News Roundup: Now with 100 percent more Wednesday! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, a Capitol Hill group made a park at the corner of Denny, Summit and Olive for $20. They call themselves the Renegade Planners Collective, the most feared public space piracy group in the city. Land Use Code inspectors shudder at the mere mention of their name…
Pacific Northwest News:
- North Seattle Slams Plans for 900-Car Parking Garage at Northgate Mall | Slog – Boo!
- Sell on BikeCraft – Any crafty folks in Seattle selling on BikeCraft Online yet?
- King County’s ‘Complete Streets’ Hopes To Reverse Health Effects Of Sprawl
- Hop on board the BoltBus: An inside look at the West Coast’s super cheap bus route – GeekWire
- BikePortland.org » Hundreds gather to remember Kathryn Rickson
- Kent’s Bike Blog: Avoid The Suicide Slot – After Kathryn Rickson’s death, this old post deserves another read
- My Ballard forum post describes woman who thinks it’s funny to let her dog chase people biking in Discovery Park.
- West Seattle Blog… » Video: Seattle Summer Streets, & spring showers, at Alki
- Where Are the Women Bike Commuters? | Sightline Daily
- Fremont Greenways – Finally, Fremont has a neighborhood greenways group
- BikePortland.org » Electronic bicycle counter coming to Hawthorne Bridge – Portland set to get bike counter around same time as Seattle. They’re always copying us.
- Everything you wanted to know about bike counting but were afraid to ask | Taking the Lane
- Drivers lost 33 hours stuck in traffic last year — an improvement | The Seattle Times – Bicyclists, meanwhile, enjoyed their time biking, so no time was “wasted.”
- Critics asking SPD to back off jaywalking tickets | KOMO News
- Seattle’s roadside rain gardens plan expected to cut sewage overflow | KING5.com Seattle
Halftime show! Remember Ian, founder of Bicycle Benefits? Here’s a video tracking his awesome Muffin Exchange project in Madison:
National & Global News:
- Pedaling to Prosperity: Biking Saves U.S. Riders Billions A Year – Forbes – Word.
- Turn Your Bike Into a Rolling Garden – Momentum Mag
- How to Not Kill a Cyclist – The Morning News
- Two new U.S. Bicycle Routes approved » Biking Bis
- Are Bicycle Proponents Spinning Their Wheels? | Sean Warner – What to do when things like “logic” and “research” seem to have little affect on a debate.
- Baillieu slashes construction of cycling projects – Melbourne gets huge cut in cycling funding despite recent growths in usage
- Bikeleague.org Blog » Why Every Bicycle Counts and What We Can Learn from Fatal Crashes – I don’t know how I feel about this. If we were tracking all roadway deaths regardless of mode, then that would be an interesting project. But bringing more attention to already devastating deaths of people cycling could have the backfiring effect of making cycling seem more dangerous than it is. Memorial seems best left to the local community, friends and family. Though, of course, tracking the data to learn from it does seem like a good idea.
- What Drivers Really Think About Bikers: The History and Psychology of Sharing the Road – GOOD
- Cyclelicious » Students suspended for biking to school – Unbelievable. They even had a police escort, and the officer didn’t see any issues. And I thought MY school principals sucked… UPDATE: The principal has backed down, reversed suspensions due to parent and school board anger.
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: New York’s New Marketing FAIL – The illustration of a city with 30 mph roadways included in this post is awesome.