It’s the Bike News Roundup! Listening to advice from weeks past, I’ve organized stories into two sections: Pacific Northwest and National/Global. Let me know what you think. Also, this is an open thread. What’s on your mind?
First up, CivLAvia is a boon to businesses along the route. One more fantastic argument for organizing something like this in Seattle…
News from the Pacific Northwest:
- The Cleverness of the “Barrel Fee” | Sightline Daily – Since it’s not only hitting people who drive, then there seems to be no reason why it should fall under the state’s Amendment 18 (if you ask me, a total non-lawyer).
- Urban Adonia: Bike Infrastructure that Doesn’t Help Bicycling – Adonia encounters the world’s shortest bike lane (unofficial).
- BikePortland.org » Meet the man fomenting Portland’s cargo bike culture
- What’s right under our nose | Taking the Lane – Interesting video of a dangerous intersection.
- Bike maintenance parties wrap-up « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – 177 hours volunteered to get bikes rolling for education programs. Awesome.
- BikePortland.org » ODOT employee dies after being hit while riding on rural Salem road
- BikePortland.org » Why people flee the scene of hit and runs
- SDOT Blog » The many varieties of bicycle facilities
News from around the nation and globe:
- Is a Microsoft App in the Works Racist?
- Kansas City Passes Resolution for Bike-Share Program – RTC TrailBlog – Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Florida highway crashes: Wrecks kill at least 10, troopers say – latimes.com – Terrifying.
- LeBron really rode his bike to the game – Heat Index Blog – ESPN – Speaking of LeBron, have you seen his awesome custom bike? Those wheels look tiny in the photo, but they are actually 29s…
- Report: States Should Index Gas Taxes to Inflation | PubliCola – Duh! I can’t believe this is even up for debate.
- CicLAvia – YouTube
- Security Video of Fatal Hit-and-Run Doesn’t Match NYPD Descriptions | Streetsblog New York City
- GOP highway spending bill ‘the worst,’ Ray LaHood says – Burgess Everett – POLITICO.com
- Streetfilms | The “Cities for Cycling” Roadshow Rocks Chicago