It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! Or rather, we are long overdue for a Bike News Roundup. I got out of the groove on organizing the interesting bike and transportation related stories I read back in 2021 when, well, reading the news wasn’t very fun. I was working on my book, and the Bike News Roundup was one of the tasks that got cut. But that ends now! So here’s the first Bike News Roundup in two years.
First up, did you all catch Doc Wilson on Out & Back with Alison Mariella Désir on KCTS back in December?
By the way, you can join Doc and Peace Peloton for a Fresh Air ride Saturday.
National & Global
- Why Traffic Studies Are ‘Junk Science’ — And Why We Rely On Them Anyway – Streetsblog USA
- A view from the cycle path: What’s gone wrong with road safety in the Netherlands ?
- Cars are rewiring our brains to ignore all the bad stuff about driving – The Verge
- Cyclist Ethan Boyes dies after being struck in San Francisco | The Seattle Times
- German Court Rules SUV Owners Can Be Fined More for Breaking Traffic Laws | Jalopnik
- GHOST TAGS: Inside the Black Market for Temporary License Plates | Streetsblog Projects
- Nice Ride shuts down pioneering Minneapolis bike share program | MPR News
- Paris vote rocks scooter rental firms’ shaky ride | Reuters
- Riding an electric bike drops heart and cancer risks, finds German study | Cycling Electric
- Secretary Pete’s safe streets plan won’t succeed if engineers continue business as usual | The Hill
- Study: SUV Drivers Cause 55% Worse Injuries To Bicyclists They Hit – Streetsblog USA
- Trek’s new Fetch electric cargo bikes are aimed squarely at families – The Verge
- Want Drivers to Stop at Crosswalks? Slow Them Down First – Streetsblog USA
- Was the $5bn that VCs plugged into escooters worth it? | Sifted
- What Does the Potential Demise of Lyft Mean for Citi Bike? | Curbed
- A Plea to Unleash the Power of Parking Reform – Bloomberg
- ‘Nobody Lives Here’ exhibit sheds light on Chinatown International District before Interstate 5 | The Seattle Times
- Accountability in Vision Zero: A Map of Recent Road Deaths | The Urbanist
- Bicyclist seriously injured after collision on Highway 527 | HeraldNet.com
- Freeways Without Futures 2023 | CNU
- Full 911 Audio Sheds More Light on SPD’s Explanation for Deadly Crash; Bill Expanding Police Pursuits Passes Legislature – PubliCola
- How to get the most out of Seattle public transit | Crosscut
- LEVY DOLLARS AT WORK | It’s now safer to use 4 major Lake City Way NE intersections – SDOT Blog
- Loved ones remember cousins killed in I-5 hit-and-run crash in Seattle | The Seattle Times
- Not guilty plea in Capitol Hill road rage shooting that killed Elijah Lewis | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle News
- Office of the Waterfront Sets Aside Feedback on Fully Pedestrianizing Bell Street | The Urbanist
- OPINION | Seattle’s Automated Traffic Cameras Disproportionately Target Neighborhoods of Color | South Seattle Emerald
- Opinion: My thoughts on the cycling decline and a list of theories to explain it – BikePortland
- S.P.L.A.I.N. 2021 Survey Results — Feels on Wheels
- Seattle to pay $6.5M in suit arguing green arrow could have prevented fatal crash | The Seattle Times
- State law prompts Edmonds to add bike lanes on Highway 99 overhaul | HeraldNet.com
- What is a ‘transit trek’? I tried one and all I got was a ton of time to read and an incredibly peaceful afternoon at Lake Crescent | Apr. 19-25, 2023 | Real Change
- Wing Luke’s ‘Nobody Lives Here’ and ‘Resistance at Home’ Take a Look at Sound Transit and the Future of the CID | South Seattle Emerald
- A new vision for walkable, bikeable Aurora Avenue North – Axios Seattle
This is an open thread.
Leave a Reply