The happiest rush hour of the year is just two days away! Bike Everywhere Day 2018 (formerly known as “Bike to Work Day”) is Friday, and the city will be flush with snacks and swag and group rides and smiling faces.
There is usually an extra surge of people in the city’s bike routes, and there is no better day for someone to give biking to work (or school or the park or wherever) to give it a try. Biking gets safer and more comfortable as more people do it.
One great way to participate: Join a group ride to City Hall. Rides are starting all over the city. Details from the event listing:
- Beacon Hill, Beacon Hill Light Rail Station, Beacon Ave S and Lander St (meets at 7:30 am; departs 7:45 am)
- Columbia City, Bikeworks, 3709 S Ferdinand St (meets at 7:00 am, departs 7:15 am)
- Fremont, Florentia & 4th Ave. N. (meets at 7:15 am, departs 7:30 am)
- Ravenna, Third Place Books, 6504 20th Ave NE, (meets at 7:15 am; departs 7:30 am)
- West Seattle, Beneath the West Seattle Bridge (meets at 7:15 am, departs 7:30 am)
Or you can make your own way to the 8 a.m. rally outside City Hall, which will include a “surprise action.”
And thanks to bike share, people don’t even need their own bike (or get it fixed) to participate anymore. To sweeten the pot, all three companies are offering free rides Friday according to Commute Seattle, which is hosting three Bagels & Bikes events:
- Ofo: 2 free rides up to 60 minutes each using promo code Biketowork2018 (case sensitive)
- Limebike: Get $4 in ride credit by entering promo code LIMEBIKE2WORK
- Spin: $2 in free rides for new riders using promo code BIKEEVERYWHEREMAY
People and organizations will host “celebration stations” all over town Friday morning, often giving out coffee or snacks or some extra encouragement to people on bikes. So leave home a bit earlier than usual to give yourself some extra time to stop at stations on the way. Or if you don’t work, spend your morning visiting as many stations as you can. It’s a lot fun. Here’s a map:
More details on the Ride and Rally from Seattle Neighborhood Greenways/Cascade Bicycle Club:
Seattle needs a connected, cohesive map of safe bicycle lanes that can move people to and around downtown. That’s the vision of the Basic Bike Network.
We’re taking this message — by bike — to City Hall this Bike Everywhere Day. And we need you to join us.
WHEN: Friday, May 18th, 8:00am-8:45am
WHERE: Seattle City Hall, 4th Ave side
* 8:00am sharp — Gather for coffee, donuts and a surprise action. We need lots of folks for this! If you’d like to participate in the action, contact [email protected]
* 8:00am-8:15am — Greet 5 group rides as they arrive from separate corners of the city (Beacon Hill, Columbia City, West Seattle, Fremont, and Ravenna)!
* 8:15am — Rally with featured speakers, vendors, etc
We’ll bring: Donuts, coffee, booths and swag.
You’ll bring: Friends on bikes!
Ride with us: Meet at locations below to join a Neighborhood Ride. Or, meet at City Hall Plaza for the Rally.
>> Beacon Hill, Beacon Hill Light Rail Station, Beacon Ave S and Lander St (meets at 7:30 am; departs 7:45 am)
>> Columbia City, Bikeworks, 3709 S Ferdinand St (meets at 7:00 am, departs 7:15 am)
>> Fremont, Florentia & 4th Ave. N. (meets at 7:15 am, departs 7:30 am)
>> Ravenna, Third Place Books, 6504 20th Ave NE, (meets at 7:15 am; departs 7:30 am)
>> West Seattle, Beneath the West Seattle Bridge (meets at 7:15 am, departs 7:30 am)
Or, ride on your own/with your neighborhood pals!
Everyone: Meet at Seattle City Hall to Rally at 8:00 a.m. for coffee donuts and a surprise action. Rally starts at 8:15 am.
Check here to RSVP: https://p2a.co/DXwnZJd
Check here for more information on the Basic Bike Network: http://