It’s time for the Bike News Roundup!
Don’t forget to vote! And whether you voted weeks ago or your ballot is still at home, you can join me for our first ever Procrastinator’s Voting Party, 5–6:30 p.m. at Chuck’s Hop Shop CD (20th/Union). We’ll then bike to the ballot box en route to the Move Seattle election party in Belltown (I’ll even deliver your ballot for you if you can’t join the ride).
Anyway, in mostly non-election news, here’s a look at some of the bikey stuff floating around the web recently. First up, here’s a great, short explanation of how the calculated derogatory term “jaywalking” became a crime:
Pacific Northwest News
- Rep. Rick Larsen Leads House to Protect Transportation Alternatives Funding | Washington Bikes
- Seattle’s Crummy Curbs Bring Lawsuit By Disability Advocates | KUOW
- Microsoft looks to stop bike crashes before they happen, testing Minority Report-style predictive intelligence – GeekWire
- Melrose Promenade Update | Melrose Promenade
- TriMet releases video, statement on Tilikum collision – BikePortland.org – Not a great start for Portland’s high-profile bike/walk/transit bridge. I hope this is easily fixed.
- So does $100 million for bikes make Colorado #1? | Washington Bikes
- First look: New bike lanes on 3rd Avenue downtown – BikePortland.org
- UW Station Needs More Bike Parking | Seattle Transit Blog
- Study: Puget Sound traffic congestion up 19% since recession | King 5
- Put Your Feet First and Move Seattle: Vote YES on Prop 1 | The Urbanist
- John Wayne Trail unanimously supported by Spokane City Council | The Spokesman-Review
- New Pedestrian Mobility Rule–on to Next Steps | SDOT Blog
- Suspected DUI driver won’t be charged in teens’ deaths | King 5
- Efficiency, Equity Discussed at Forum on Seattle’s Transportation Congestion | The Urbanist
- Sinnema Quaale Upper Revetment Analysis and Repair Project – King County – Snoqualmie Valley Trail closure near Duvall will continue into December, missing Halloween opening goal.
- Charity bike rides earn big bucks for cancer research » Biking Bis – Obliteride raises $2.65 million for Fred Hutch
- ACTION ALERT: Tell Sound Transit to Expand the Low-Income Fare | Seattle Transit Blog
- Save the Yards! | The C Is for crank
- Faye Garneau Has Now Given As Much of Her Own Money to Kill the Move Seattle Levy as the Pro Side Has Raised in Total – Slog – The Stranger
- Announcing The Bicycle Story Podcast! Episode 1: Bike Skills Save Lives | The Bicycle Story
- Garbage truck gone rogue closes streets around E Olive Way | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – Smashes Pronto station. Luckily, no injuries.
- Walla Walla High School teacher struck by car, killed | Tri-City Herald
- A look at the mountains and rivers moved to build Seattle | Crosscut
- Summer Parkways – Central District | Flickr
- Summer Parkways – Ballard | Flickr
- A Property Tax Primer (or Why Prop 1 Opponents Don’t Know What They’re Saying When They Say Property Taxes Are Too High) | Skunk Works
- Should Seattle cyclists be able to treat stop signs like yield signs? | The Seattle Times
- Jerry Baker’s Memorial – Velocity: The Seattle Area Cycling Blog
- Capitol Hill bicycle cafe race down to two — for now | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- Burke-Gilman Trail draws breweries to Kenmore | NWNews
- Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman arrested for investigation of hit-and-run | The Seattle Times
- Guest Editorial: The “Let’s Move Seattle” Levy Will Modernize Our City’s Transportation System – Slog – The Stranger
- 35th Avenue SW and SW Roxbury Street – Early Results are In! – So far so good for travel times, which is nice. But I’m still waiting for the data that really matters: How many injuries were prevented?
- City says flashing yellow lights safe, effective | Issue raised after toddler’s death – Bellevue Reporter
- Life as an Amazon bicycle courier: Steep hills and even steeper expectations – GeekWire
- Beloved Port Orchard grandmother killed by hit-and-run driver | www.kirotv.com
Halftime Show! Seattle Police helped train Bellevue Police in bicycle tactics. I’ve never been on a bicycle ride that includes live ammo target practice…
National & Global News
- The reason fewer US women cycle than the Dutch is not what you think it is | Environment | theguardian.com
- Man tackled to the ground by Coast cop for riding a push bike without a helmet | Gold Coast Bulletin
- What You Need to Know About Dynamo Lighting | Momentum Mag
- Seeking asylum on children’s bicycles – BBC News
- How Painting Sharrows on the Street Could Keep Cyclists Safer on Shared Oakland Roads – CityLab
- European Cyclists’ Federation – Helmet effectiveness research forced to go back to the drawing board
- ‘Bloody’ bicycles left on Boulder’s formerly ‘right-sized’ Folsom Street – Boulder Daily Camera
- Open Letter to the League of American Bicyclists Board of Directors — Medium – Signed by several Seattle/WA leaders, including Elizabeth Kiker of Cascade and Barb Chamberlain of WA Bikes.
- BikeSD How Can BikeSD Make a Dent in Income Inequality? Through Advocacy and Embracing Equity – BikeSD
- We just released 159 high-quality biking photos into the public domain | PeopleForBikes – Very useful for your bike propaganda. OBEY.
- Most Cyclists Are Working-Class Immigrants, Not Hipsters
- Governor signs bill banning bridge sidewalk tolls – The San Francisco Examiner
- Stephen Fleming’s Velotopia Concept Envisions a Perfect Bike City – CityLab – Hmm… I don’t know about biking through my grocery store.
- Survey: Broadway Protected Bike Lane Would Entice More Riders, Shoppers | Streetsblog Denver
- Birmingham’s Zyp BikeShare officially gets rolling | AL.com
- DataLensDC Charts Average Consumer Expenditures Across U.S. Metropolitan Areas – CityLab – Seattle residents’ car expenses really not so bad, relatively.
- Three dead in horrific Halloween crash in Bronx – NY Daily News
This is an open thread.