It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! I’m still healing up from the flu, which tragically put me out of commission for the Youth Bike Summit over the weekend. I’ll try to piece together coverage in the next couple days, so stay tuned. It sounded like an inspiring experience.
First up in the roundup, here’s one way to advertise your bus agency (not as good as the first one, though):
- Fighting Traffic, Dreaming Of Light Rail Outside Seattle | KUOW
- Pedestrian safety coming soon to busy Edmonds street | HeraldNet.com
- WSDOT Says if This Bertha Contractor Walks Out, We’ll Get Another One | Slog
- Man arrested in Hawaii crash that killed Issaquah bicyclist | Seattle Times
- Yet Another East Link Lawsuit | Seattle Transit Blog
- Police car rolls down hill, crashes into Federal Way home | KOMO News
- How to Bring More Light Rail to Seattle, in Four Not-So-Easy Steps | Seattle Met
- Sound Transit Parking Debate | Seattle Met
- University Link Construction Approaches Total Completion | The Urbanist
- Seattle’s red light cameras reduce collisions by 23% | The Urbanist
- O’Brien will face challenger in Seattle City Council district race | Seattle Times
- Job Opportunities – Bike Works – Three totally awesome part-time jobs listed right now.
- Tom Rasmussen » Update on the Cheasty Mountain Bike/Pedestrian Trail Pilot Project
- O’Brien Says No to Vulcan $500,000 Vulcan Waiver | Seattle Met
- Cell phone use behind wheel would go on driver’s record, under legislative proposal | The News Tribune
- Separated Trail project in full swing on NE 195th | Shoreline Area News
- Pronto Cycle Share • Introducing: New Pricing Options! – You can now get a senior discount. Awesome!
- Bike share program throws chain – Vancouver Courier – Helmet law cited as one barrier.
- Walla Walla University Student Struck While Riding Bicycle Dies | KVEW
- With Kitzhaber resignation, bike advocates upbeat about incoming Gov. Kate Brown – BikePortland.org
- Seattle’s street parking vanishes as bus and bike lanes boom | The Seattle Times – “Vanishes” is a strange word choice. There are still a half million on-street parking spots in Seattle! Also, candidate for worst infographic of the year (and not just because they don’t know where South Lake Union or First Hill are)
- Seattle Bike Activists Launch Major Infrastructure Campaign | The Northwest Urbanist
- Green River Trail reopens to bicycling in Kent » Biking Bis
- Youth Bike Summit 2015 (with images, tweets) · Storify
- Seattle’s ‘smart city’ thinking should include dogs | Crosscut
- Don’t Say ‘Cyclists,’ Say ‘People on Bikes’ – CityLab
- The Case for a NE 130th Street Station | The Urbanist
- Another bike trail attraction on Cedar River Trail » Biking Bis
- Funding our future: Issaquah secures funding for bike/ped projects | Cascade Bicycle Club
- What the 16-story Broadway Whole Foods development will look like | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – Too much parking! Good lord, this is First Hill/Capitol Hill we’re talking about.
- Measuring Success on the Urban Villages Strategy, Part 1: What It’s All About | The Urbanist
- Summer Camps registration now open! | Cascade Bicycle Club
- It’s back to the future for Seattle property developer with a golden touch – Puget Sound Business Journal – Again, way too much parking. This is Fremont!
- Driver in Renton crash that paralyzed teen charged 8 months later | www.kirotv.com
With all the talk of Vision Zero, it’s worth revisiting this WSDOT video asking a bunch of Washingtonians how many traffic deaths we should accept in our state:
National & Global News
- Pedestrian killed in Wellston faced familiar hazards | STL Today – Terrible. I read the original story about her dangerous walk to work when it came out because it is near my parents’ house in St. Louis. She deserved better from her city and her streets.
- Lack of exercise accounts for twice the deaths as obesity, study finds | OregonLive.com
- Seattle’s Second Avenue should inspire Commonwealth Avenue plans – The Boston Globe
- Are Divvy Riders Safer Than Other Cyclists? Data Says Yes – DNAinfo.com Chicago
- Cycling advocate Lisa Nutter is right on track – USA Cycling
- Bob Simon of ’60 Minutes’ killed in car crash in New York – LA Times
- 3D Printed Bike Snaps in Half During Carleton University Press Conference to Show it Off – 3DPrint.com
- St. Louis Stunner Runs Away With the Vote for America’s Sorriest Bus Stop | Streetsblog USA – My hometown, again. Someone needs to save St. Louis County transportation. This is embarrassing.
- Are bicycle freeways the way cycling should be headed? | The Urbanist
- Defend Federal Funding for Trails! – Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- How San Luis Obispo Established the Most Powerful Bike Funding Policy in the Nation – Alliance for Biking & Walking
- Orange looks to safeguard day cares after Lily Quintus crash – Orlando Sentinel – Wow. Nationally, people driving (or forgetting to properly park) crash cars into buildings “60 [times] a day, causing almost 4,000 injuries and 500 deaths a year.”
- Police: Lance Armstrong hit parked cars, blamed girlfriend | KOMO News – This guy is a real piece of shit.
- In Johannesburg, a New Bridge Must Also Address Apartheid’s Legacy – CityLab
- Obama’s New Transportation Budget: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly | Streetsblog USA
- Koch-Funded Groups: Cut All Federal Funding for Walking, Biking, Transit | Streetsblog USA
- Boris Johnson Commits to a Protected “Cycle Superhighway” Crossing London | Streetsblog USA
- What’s the best way to protect a bikeway? How about a bikeshare station? – Greater Greater Washington
- DOT head challenges mayors on bicycle, walking safety
This is an open thread.