It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! First up, Utrecht in the Netherlands took an intersection that would be top notch in Seattle and decided it wasn’t safe enough for people on bikes. Here’s how they made it even better:
Pacific Northwest News
- Does your airport have a 50-page bike plan? – BikePortland.org – No, but it should.
- Driver leaves Puyallup reverend with life-threatening injuries | King 5 – Reverend was biking near the fairgrounds.
- BiketoWork Barb: How I Came to Be a Bike Advocate
- Seattle bike attorney busier than ever | King 5
- Rob Johnson to Run for Seattle City Council | Seattle Met
- The Rainier Ave. Problem | Crosscut.com
- Informed Speculation: What $15 Billion Might Buy | Seattle Transit Blog – Interesting look into what could come from a Sound Transit 3 vote.
- After a Series of Failures, This Is How Vancouver Finally Built a Controversial Bike Lane – CityLab
- Driver still sought in downtown hit-and-run that killed janitor | The Seattle Times – Happened November 22 at 5th and Pike.
- ORCA fare card for the Monorail wins backing | The Seattle Times
- First Downtown Parklet Set to Open | Seattle Met – Opened today!
- Creating the bicycle leaders of tomorrow | Cascade Bicycle Club
- 4-year-old hit by car in Proctor Disrict | The News Tribune
- Creating a new bicycling culture in Seattle; start with the clothing? – MyNorthwest.com – KIRO Radio does a positive story about bicycling? How cool! Too bad Hub & Bespoke is closing their doors at the end of the year.
- Pronto Cycle Share – Pronto Cycle Share | Groupon – Gread deal on a membership if you don’t have one yet.
Halftime show! Ever bike on the Interurban South Trial? Then you might enjoy this Seattle Channel story from a few years ago about the old railway:
National & Global News
- In advance of union election, Capital Bikeshare worker fired for organizing – The Washington Post – Alta also operates Pronto.
- Florida DOT will sponsor Daytona race to highlight safety program | Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte Newspaper
- Solange Knowles Is Married! See Her & Alan Ferguson Ride Bicycles To The Church! | PerezHilton.com – Yup, I just linked to Perez Hilton. There’s a first time for everything, I suppose.
- Mpls. police: Driver who hit protester was fleeing ‘the mob’ but is considered suspect | Star Tribune – Initial police reports referred to the driver as the “victim.”
- Study: Dollar for dollar, bike infrastructure pays off better than road maintenance – BikePortland.org
- Gabby Giffords completes 11-mile bike ride – CNN.com
- Seeing & Believing in Bike Equity | League of American Bicyclists – A great read in the context of Ferguson protests.
- Smart Hat designer puzzled by cyclists’ negative response | road.cc
- Why Ferguson Protests Spilled Onto Highways | Streetsblog.net
- Yes, modern protected bike lane intersections are safe | PeopleForBikes
- Hindy Schachter: Protect pedestrians and bikes from cars – NY Daily News
- SubsidizingCongestion-FINAL.pdf – A report on how bad an idea it is for the government to subsidize car parking for work.
- Just another pedestrian killed — Strong Towns – Road engineering is the culprit, or at least shares part of the blame.
- Driver Not Charged for Killing Girl, 10, and Injuring Mother in Borough Park | Streetsblog New York City
- Wide racial gap exists on speed of Boston-area commutes – The Boston Globe – Someone should study this in Seattle and/or King County.
- This Supreme Court Case Will Decide Whether Companies Can Treat Pregnant Women Like Crap | Mother Jones – UPS apparently treats drivers who get a DUI better than employees who get pregnant.
- 2 children, 1 adult killed in Tennessee school bus crash; 23 hurt | KOMO News
- Ticket Tackling, or How the NYPD Pulls Over Cyclists on Canal Street | Bowery Boogie – What’s a worse crime, running a stop sign or tackling a stranger to the ground? Insanity.
- Taxi driver faces charges for hitting bicyclist twice — with fist, then cab – Metro – The Boston Globe
- How Super-Small, European-Style Delivery Vehicles Could Make U.S. Streets Safer – CityLab
- Hit-and-run heatmap highlights danger to cyclists, and perhaps callousness of drivers – LA Times
This is an open thread.