It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! Here’s a look at some of the transportation news floating around the web recently.
First up, Cascade put together this video of people who support city plans for a bikeway on Westlake:
Pacific Northwest News
- Darrington completes key school project | PSRC
- SDOT Blog » SDOT Partners in IWALK Challenge; Raises Awareness of School Traffic Safety – Featuring the Mariner Moose.
- Railroad curbs access to Everett waterfront trail | HeraldNet.com
- Man struck by car, critically hurt while running across Hwy. 99 | KOMO News
- Seattle’s Alaskan Way Viaduct: King of the Highway Boondoggles | Streetsblog USA – Boy, that project is just so awful.
- Soapbox: Why we need to decriminalize bike helmets – Vancouver Courier
- In Praise Of The Upright Bike | Brent Toderian
- Seattle: Ever the Bridesmaid, Never the Bride — bikabout
- King County Councilmember Reagan Dunn pleads guilty to DUI | The Seattle Times
- Seattle’s new transportation chief driven to keep city moving | The Seattle Times
- Friends, family remember man who was killed in Kirkland crosswalk – Kirkland Reporter
- Washington’s outdoor recreation goal: No child left inside!!! – Seattle PI
- New parklet opens at 25th and Union this Sunday | The Urbanist
- A bicycle (building) built for 171: New complex near Burke-Gilman trail caters to cyclists – Puget Sound Business Journal
- Policing cars, and bikes, on Seattle’s Second Avenue bike lane | Seattle Times
- Bike quote: Why bicycle tourists are the best tourists for small towns » Biking Bis
- Job Information: Station Technician Supervisor – Pronto Cycle Share Job
- Light-rail tunnel partnership sued by black laborers | Seattle Times
- Seattle Wants to Change the Whole Conversation on Streetcars – CityLab – A streetcar that is actually useful for transportation? What a crazy fucking idea!
- I Am Leaving The Stranger, Everybody! | Slog – Dominic Holden is no longer at The Stranger.
- What to do if you’re hit by a car while riding your bike | Grist
- Death on a Bike – NYTimes.com – Timothy Egan I guess is saying we should just give up trying to make streets safer for urban cycling because they aren’t safe yet? Or maybe he was just trying to say that biking is dangerous and, well … um … that’s all. I don’t get why he even bothered to write this piece, and neither does Brooklyn Spoke.
- Census shows big leaps for biking in a few cities, but Portland inches backward – BikePortland.org
- PBOT’s first ‘advisory bike lanes’ coming to SE Caruthers – BikePortland.org
Halftime show! The mayor of Pittsburgh is not just playing catchup on bike stuff. He’s playing leapfrog.
National & Global News
- The opposition to London’s segregated cycle lanes is living in the past | theguardian.com
- Indiana Toll Road Seeks Bankruptcy as Traffic Declines – Bloomberg – Investing in growing traffic is a terrible business model.
- Why You Can’t Trust TV News to Report on Bike Lanes | Streetsblog New York City
- #MinimumGrid: Toronto Advocates Move Politicians Beyond Bike Platitudes | Streetsblog USA
- Do Drivers Cover the Cost of Roads? Not By a Long Shot | Streetsblog.net
- This Musical Bike Rack Is Designed To Add Some Joy To Boring Infrastructure | Co.Exist
- Bike St. Louis to add 100 miles of new or upgraded routes : News
- Norwegian Town Pays Cyclists and Pedestrians “Reverse Toll” Money | Streetsblog.net
- Sidewalks closed along U.S. 19 where pedestrian was killed | WTSP
- Will Florida DOT Pull Off a “Culture Change” and Make Streets Safer? | Streetsblog.net
- U.S. DOT to Publish Its Own Manual on Protected Bike Lanes | Streetsblog USA
- Moneyball for Bike Advocacy | League of American Bicyclists
- A Death in Central Park Raises Real Questions About Bicyclist Behavior – CityLab
This is an open thread. Discuss anything marginally bike-related in the comments below.