It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, Streets MN recently posted a video we somehow missed a few years ago that explains why congestion happens (Spoiler: It’s too many cars):
Pacific Northwest News
- Martina Brimmer: Swift Industries and the Empowerment of Adventures by Bike | The Bicycle Story
- Sandy Ridge trail users report confrontations with mace-toting couple – UPDATED | BikePortland.org
- Pedestrian struck by ambulance | SPD Blotter – On First Hill.
- OneBusAway for the Visually Impaired | Seattle Transit Blog
- Washington transportation committee co-chairs, allies turn against each other | Opinion Northwest | Seattle Times
- The City Council Is Trying to Kill Pedestrians | Slog
- Memorial walk and rally planned for March 25; part of “Safe Roads” week | Ravenna Blog
- As Portland tourism booms, county data shows an odd twist: car rentals haven’t | BikePortland.org
- Northgate Station Design 90% Complete | Seattle Transit Blog
- New Seattle crosswalk noises not music to the ears of all | KOMO News
- SDOT Blog » Trails, signs and bike parking spaces, oh my! – An update on bike investments from Bridging the Gap
- Bellevue Walk & Talk: Shape Your Future hosted by Feet First – March 20, register for free
- Former Mayor McGinn fixing his bike, joining charity board | Seattle Times
- Man pushing bike in crosswalk is struck, killed by car | KOMO News – In Puyallup
- Feb. 28: Give us your best shot: King County Parks wants trail photos for new regional trail map – It’s not a very useful map, but you could get your photo on it!
- Mother continues fight for light at dangerous crosswalk | www.kirotv.com
- Seattle Magazine | G&O Family Cyclery Sells Cargo Bikes for the Whole Family
- WSDOT Announces Safe Routes to School Grant | Washington BikesWashington Bikes – Application deadline is in May
- Columbia River Crossing: ODOT to pull plug, bridge project is dead | OregonLive.com
Halftime show! This Kiro TV report has some very scary footage of a pothole-caused bike wreck on Broadway:
National & Global News
- “Cargo Cycling is Not a Crime” or Repeal LAMC 80.27 – Features photo of Seattle’s very own Madi Carlson breaking LA law.
- Let’s Get Rid of Beg Buttons | Streetsblog.net
- Paris makes its bike share free to cut down on air pollution – Salon.com
- Pilot program: Speed sensors trigger red light on Philly road – Philly.com – This is amazing.
- Riding with impaired drivers increases teens’ DUI risks | KING5.com
- Crash suspect Rashad Owens has misdemeanor history, planned to… | mystatesman.com – Coverage of the horrific SXSW mass hit and run suspect
- Wonktastic chart rates 15 different ways to protect bike lanes | PeopleForBikes
- San Francisco Ponders Rainbow-Colored Crosswalks – John Metcalfe – The Atlantic Cities
- City Cycling: Health Versus Hazard | Gizmodo
- Sec. Foxx: Bicycle Infrastructure Can Be a “Ladder of Opportunity” | Streetsblog USA
- One weird old trick to find the best streets for protected bike lanes | PeopleForBikes
- Blumenauer uses Summit keynote to rally troops around gas tax increase | BikePortland.org
- A Stealthy Gadget That Gives Clunky Bike-Share Bikes a Turbo Boost – Jenny Xie – The Atlantic Cities
- Report: Good Thing World Has Unlimited Quantity Of Oil | The Onion