It’s time for a well-overdue Bike News Roundup. It’s a long one, so let’s get to it.
First up, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio made a strong speech about traffic violence in his city, thanking families of people who died in traffic for making a stand against further traffic injuries and death. Citing “Vision Zero” successes in other cities around the world, he outlined a plan for how the city will eliminate deaths on New York streets:
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Makes Historic “Vision Zero” Announcement from Streetfilms on Vimeo.
Pacific Northwest News
- Downtown Parking: Supply is Up, Demand is Down | Seattle Transit Blog
- Felon with 29 convictions arrested on suspicion of burglarizing bike shop – Spokesman.com
- Hit-and-run victim wants public help to forgive driver | KOMO News – This man is amazing.
- Prone skateboarder rolls under van, is injured | KOMO News
- Pickup with boat plows through fence into storage shed | KOMO News
- Man gets 2 years, 4 months for hitting, killing bicyclist in Prosser | Tri-CityHerald.com
- New website shares bicycle tour information » Biking Bis
- Road rage drivers collide multiple times, crash on I-90 | KOMO News
- Business owners put the brakes on Seattle’s Bike Master Plan | www.kirotv.com
- How Might West Seattle Link Actually Look? | Seattle Transit Blog
- Westlake Needs a Queue Jump | Seattle Transit Blog – Also includes ideas for how area could work better for people on bikes
- DUI hit-and-run injures woman, toddler in Auburn – Seattle PI
- Here’s to Complete Streets in 2014 | Family Ride
- Editorial notebook: Lace up your shoes and get out of the car to avoid snap judgments | Opinion | The Seattle Times
- Construction started on ‘Safe Routes to School’ sidewalk on NE 130th | Lake City Live
- Guest: Why are drivers so angry at cyclists? | Opinion | The Seattle Times
- Going Dutch with Your Bike | Cascade Bicycle Club
- City to Conduct Study of NE 55th Street | Ravenna-Bryant Community Association
- Christmas tree by bike | Family Ride
- SDOT Blog » Accidents Rare, Mistakes Common
- Christmas trees turned into inferno | Seattle PI
- Westlake businesses hold the city’s bike plan hostage | Crosscut.com
- These are the people who appealed the Bike Master Plan | seattlish
- We’re Hiring: School and Family Programs Coordinator | Washington Bikes – Based in Spokane
- Puget Sound Bike Share: 2013 YEAR IN REVIEW
- SDOT Blog » Whose parking space is it?
- Diabetes drives Everett man’s bike trek | HeraldNet.com
- Friendly Reminder: Density Works | citytank
- 5-year-old boy dies after car slams into tree | KOMO News
Halftime show! Here’s an accidentally artsy video of Northgate’s new bike lockers:
National & Global News
- In a Car-Culture Clash, It’s the Los Angeles Police vs. Pedestrians – NYTimes.com
- In Stockholm, a Proposal to Make Snow Plowing Priorities Better for Women – Stephanie Garlock – The Atlantic Cities
- Iowa driver who struck, killed cyclist but thought she’d hit deer pleads guilty to traffic violation – Omaha.com
- The Challenge of Selling Bike-Share in a Hilly City – Feargus O’Sullivan – The Atlantic Cities
- Both Up the Hill and Down « Cycle Swift
- Mick Cornett: How an obese town lost a million pounds | Video on TED.com – Oklahoma City
- US Supreme Court battle threatens rail-trails » Biking Bis
- It’s time to stop building black diamond bike lanes | PeopleForBikes
- New Wisconsin law lets people drink on the Pedal Tavern and other quadricycles – Thrillist Nation
- Hamburg’s ambitious green network addresses nature, climate resilience, sustainable transportation | Kaid Benfield’s Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC
- The unstoppable rise of bikes – Salon.com
- Now allowed: the tech that separates bikes and cars without a drop of paint | PeopleForBikes
- Silver Lining to the U.S. DOT Shakeup: Barbara McCann Joins the Team | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Rio’s hosting its first ever cargo bike championship | Grist
- China’s Smog Kills 350,000+ Yearly | News from the Field | OutsideOnline.com
- Defining the Worst Type of Street Design – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- Jerry Seinfeld’s AMA – Best quote: “If you can walk to work or take your bike on a daily basis, I think that’s just about the coolest thing that there is. Every morning I listen to the traffic on the radio, and they talk about how they are jammed and I just laugh. I love traffic. I love traffic reports because I’m not in any of them.”
- League of American Bicyclists Survey
- Biking as the Third Way — Jane Jacobs’ wisdom | PedalAnywhere Seattle
- A 137-Mile ‘Cycling Utopia’ Floating Above London’s Rail Lines | Autopia | Wired.com
- Death Valley National Park freezes bike race and charity bike ride permits » Biking Bis
- NYC’s Next Transportation Commissioner Is Polly Trottenberg | Streetsblog New York City
- Emanuel Appoints CTA’s Chief Planning Officer to Be New CDOT Chief | Streetsblog Chicago
- Study considers Montlake Cut bridge just for bikes and… | www.kirotv.com
- 2013 in City Transportation — Two Steps Forward… | Streetsblog.net
- What the Interstate Highway System Should Have Looked Like – Eric Jaffe – The Atlantic Cities
This is an open thread.
6 responses to “Bike News Roundup: New York mayor calls for end to traffic violence”
Is that Mcginn photo supposed to indicate he’s giving up his bike, or his car?
I believe that is the city’s car provided to whoever is the mayor.
Huh. Alright. It’s weird they would do that.
As much as I hate Clay B. for taking our Sonics away, Oklahoma City seems to have it’s act together. I wonder if they have the same “war on cars” nonsense in their local press.
The League of American Wheelmen link points to a dead survey.
It hasn’t been the Wheelmen since 1994. It’s the League of American Bicyclists.