It’s time for the overdue Bike News Roundup! Was gonna post this on Friday, but accidentally biked to the mountains to go camping instead. Oops!
First up, here’s a video Cascade made recently about two Country Day teachers who have become bike-to-school leaders:
Pacific Northwest News
- Tour de France 101 and Cyclefest 2013 « Cascade Bike Blog
- BikePortland.org » Doubletree Hotel dumps vendor whose truck blocked bike lane
- After facing death, bicyclist has her eye on the finish line | KOMO News
- Sign at site of death a call to action | HeraldNet.com – Local news
- Risks of cycling, walking and driving put in context
- BikePortland.org » Did we learn anything from Portland’s newest dead freeway?
- Seattle’s Tunnel Boring Machine Waiting on Concrete Liner Maker’s Next Move | The SunBreak
- Save the Date: July 27th, Grand-Opening Celebration | Tin Umbrella
- More speed-limit cameras could be in Seattle’s future – seattlepi.com
- Video of the Day: Starring Charlie Staadecker | Seattle Met – Apparently, Charlie doesn’t want the safe streets vote.
- Steel & Cashmere | Wear Your Helmets People
- Bicyclist injured in hit-and-run crash near Renton | KOMO News
- Two young girls injured in Des Moines hit-and-run | KOMO News – In their front yard.
- What’s in Your Garage? | Sightline Daily
- Developers trying to revive Eastside shopping centers | The Seattle Times
- Tacoma man could be convicted of 14th DUI | KING5.com Seattle
- Stolen SUV crashes into South Seattle building | KING5.com Seattle
- Paving on the South Right of Way of Shilshole Avenue Northwest « Cascade Bike Blog
Halftime show! You know how car commercials always show cars zooming around cities or salt-fields completely free from traffic, red lights or, you know, people? Well, we all know that’s not what driving is like at all. So the folks at Copenhagenize (who really don’t like driving) have made a commercial with a somewhat less rosy take on driving:
If Car Commercials Were Based on Fact not Fiction – 001 from Ivan Conte on Vimeo.
National & Global News
- Critical Mass Chaos: Cops Booed, Pelted With Objects After Arresting Ice-Cream Bicycle Chef – Miami – Riptide 2.0
- Bike Sharing’s Latest Success Is in NYC’s Jammed Streets – ABC News – Bike share has proven a vital addition to a modern city
- Passing a Law Is the Easy Part: The Challenge of Building Complete Streets | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Driver blames cyclist for crash after hitting rider, 2 pedestrians, and a bus while driving wrong way up one-way street | road.cc
- Zócalo Public Square :: Sorry, Folks, L.A. Doesn’t Need Bicycles – Who wants to organize a sci-fi-themed watermelon-hauling bike ride?
- Cyclists with iPods hear the same as motorists listening to nothing | BikeBiz
- Urban Observatory Compare Cities
- Driver turns herself in after fatal hit-and-run in Burnaby – The Globe and Mail – Taking responsibility is the first step.
- Is Being Able to Walk Around Your City a Right? – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- 5 Ingenious Ideas For Parking All Our Bicycles | Co.Exist
- New route could bring more cyclists to Springfield | Springfield News-Leader
- Sandpoint cyclist survives tense wolf encounter on Al-Can Highway – Spokesman.com – Incredible.
- The Citi Bike Story No One’s Talking About: Only 3 Injuries in 500,000 Rides | Streetsblog New York City
- How Reason’s Highway Report Works Against Urban Areas | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Cyclelicious » Mountain View California: 22% of capital budget for bicycle / pedestrian projects
- twin city sidewalks: Time For Minneapolis to Phase Out Deadly One-Way Streets
- Thieves Steal Disabled Man’s Bicycle – Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events – 13WHAM.com
- There’s no ethical case for mandatory cycle helmets
- Disruptions: How Driverless Cars Could Reshape Cities – NYTimes.com
- Lawmakers push Amtrak to allow bicycles on trains, saying it would benefit upstate New York’s economy – saratogian.com
- Your Sedentary Lifestyle Is Turning You Into a Nervous Wreck – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
This guy is riding from Key West to Seattle to raise awareness for violence in America, and plans to arrive in town October 15.
Awesome! Thanks for the link.