It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! First up, a bike-powered way to recover your stolen bike:
Pacific Northwest News
- Nice bike. Wait a minute, that’s MY bike! Trooper recovers stolen wheels | Q13 FOX News – Missed this fascinating stolen bike recovery story from a month ago
- Google Maps Introduces New, Smarter Transit Routing – Seattle Transit Blog – This part of the new maps is a huge improvement. Makes using transit twice as easy.
- Kemper Freeman plans $1.2 billion expansion in Bellevue | The Seattle Times – I assume he just forgot the downtown Bellevue cycle track network in this draft…
- BikePortland.org » City Club research report strongly endorses bicycling
- aPodments as a Parking Solution | Seattle Met – Interesting note about aPodments and parking: A “unit” could have up to eight rooms, but would only be eligible for five parking permits.
- Why Women Bike | Eight Stories on Iva Jean
- Disposable Cars – Watch how Seattle’s Car2Go network moves. Fascinating. I can’t wait to see the first such visuals from Puget Sound Bike Share users…
- Concrete dragons: How to slay a freeway | Crosscut.com – Side note: I went to Knox College and had no idea a gathering there helped inspire R.H. Thompson protests.
- Play Date: Seattle Biking Mom Madi Carlson – Blog – ParentMap
- Pedal Power Thursday « Cascade Bike Blog – Biking to school is taking off in Mountlake Terrace
- If you build it…
— Peddler Brewing Co. (@PeddlerBrewing) May 23, 2013
… they will come.
— Peddler Brewing Co. (@PeddlerBrewing) May 27, 2013
- BikePortland.org » For girls on bikes, new research shows a turning point: age 14
- More parking, larger QFC on way for Seattle’s U Village – Puget Sound Business Journal – That’s a lot of new parking.
Halftime show! Those darn scofflaw drivers really ruin it for the rest of us, don’t they. Just look at this rampant breaking of traffic rules! We should withhold all funding for road safety projects until all of these drivers start using their signals…
National & Global News
- The Inequality of Urban Tree Cover – Emily Badger – The Atlantic Cities – Again, neighborhood greenways can play a role in making sure areas with little greenery get their fair share.
- The new downtown economy is pedal powered – In Toronto.
- Bikeshare is a gateway to private biking, not competition – Greater Greater Washington – Capital Bikeshare users reported using their own bikes more after the system helped get them in the habit.
- Bicycle helmet laws linked to fewer child deaths | Reuters
- And, of course, for every flimsy pro-bike helmet law study there is an anti-bike helmet law study: Do Bicycle Helmet Laws Really Make Riders Safer? – Eric Jaffe – The Atlantic Cities
- Cyclists of Color: Invisible No More | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Motorcycle injuries worsen with weaker helmet law | The Seattle Times – Further proof that the issue of motorcycle helmets is far different from the issue of bicycle helmets.
- Streetmix – I love this.
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Bike Share Graph Gauging Public Opinion
- Report: Texting While Driving Okay If You Look Up Every Couple Seconds | The Onion – But we all knew that, right?