It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! First up, here’s Janette Sadik-Khan’s keynote at the National Women’s Bicycling Forum in DC:
Pacific Northwest News:
- State admits costly mistakes on 520 bridge | The Seattle Times – This mistake on the 520 Bridge pontoons will cost the state more than it has spent on bicycling and walking projects since 2005 (but, you know, we should really tax bicycle sales…)
- Oregon Senate Majority Leader struck by an accused drunken driver in Portland, police said | OregonLive.com
- Mayor McGinn » Mayor directs departments to improve pedestrian safety through construction zones
- County parking analysis says developers do, indeed, create more parking than we need | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- Mayor, Council Spar over Parking Rate Change in Chinatown | Seattle Met
- Two Seattle police officers charged with off-duty DUI | The Today File | Seattle Times
- Poll: Seattle mayor in tight race for re-election | KING5.com Seattle – Closes challenger to McGinn is Ron Sims, who has not even declared that he is running (yet).
- Unfair Expectations of New Wash. State DOT Secretary | Transportation Issues Daily
- Vashon Passenger-Only Terminal Improvements Survey – Take it!
- The Loyal Heights Urban Cycling Club | Walk.Bike.Schools!
- Perimeter Trail Takes Shape | Families for Lake City
- Grapevine: Biking worse for environment than driving? | Bret Baier | Fox News Channel – Hey, look! Seattle Bike Blog was on Fox News.
- Will the State Senate Vote to Help Slow Traffic in Your Neighborhood? | Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- Postcards from the past: Police bicycle auction, 1942 | Picture This | The Seattle Times
- Marketing Manager, Seattle Bike Supply, Kent, WASHINGTON (Seattle Area) | Malakye.com
- Registration fee for Oregon cyclists? The conversation is starting in Salem | OregonLive.com – Sigh…
- What if Amtrak Cascades Made Money? Lots of Money. | The SunBreak
- BikePortland.org » Oregon Senate passes CRC bill 18-11
- Bicycling blog ‘Ocyclers’ ready to roll out of The Oregonian newsroom | OregonLive.com
- Joseph Rose: Teen drivers’ music ‘scrolling’ on smartphones just as scary as texting | OregonLive.com
- SE Portland mom blames lack of crosswalk, sidewalks for 4-year-old girl’s death | OregonLive.com – Devastating
- Duwamish Tribe opposes 520 expansion through ancestral homelands | montlaker
What’s in your bike lane today? twitter.com/familyride/sta…
— familyride (@familyride) February 28, 2013
- Room for bicycles | The Wenatchee World – Editorial supports Wenatchee bike plan
Halftime show! This sort of blew my mind:
National & Global News:
- Making Better Bicycle Habits | Everyday Rider
- If Only Every City Had a Masked Lucha Libre Defender of Pedestrians – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities – Yes
- Detroit: Motor City Poised To Become Cycle City – BikeRadar
- Reinventing Parking: “Cars are parked 95% of the time”. Let’s check!
- AAA fights to keep unnecessary parking rules – Greater Greater Washington
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Paint Is Not Enough
- City of Phoenix may launch bicycle-sharing program, issues request for proposal | Downtown Devil
- 2013 Legislative Agenda – Bike MN – Did you know it is illegal to use a bike bell in Minnesota?
- WWL – Tulane Study Finds Cycling Surge Following The City Bike Lane Project
- What happened to a place in Michigan when cars were banned for 115 years? | Bike Delaware
- Urban transport in Latin America: Better by bici | The Economist
- How to Bike to the Airport | Everyday Rider
- Getting Greenways Right | Cycle Action Auckland – Hey, look! It’s John Mauro!
- U of C study supports call for separated bike lanes – Yup.
- Boris unveils billion pound plan to civilise London | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz – This is big.
- Why New York Needs Strict Criminal Liability for Traffic Violence | Streetsblog New York City
- How to Turn a Public Parking Space Into a Private Storage Locker, Legally | Streetsblog.net
- BikePortland.org » More cause than cash: The bike lobby comes of age
- A Subway Map for Pedestrians – Emily Badger – The Atlantic Cities
- Cuba looks to curb deadly scourge of jaywalking – “Locals call it “toreando autos” – “bullfighting with cars.””
- How to Diversify Bicycle Culture in Three Easy Steps | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- nextSTL | 7-mile Streetcar Envisioned to Connect Old North, Downtown, Midtown and Central West End
- BikePortland.org » ‘New face of bicycling’ on full display at Woman & Bicycles launch event
- Nev. lawmaker moves to ban texting while walking, cites Seattle study | Q13 FOX News – Yes, because it’s the walkers in Nevada who are the problem (see our previous story on the study)
- Shouldn’t Pedestrians At Least Be Safe From Cars on the Sidewalk? – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- The Last Time the NTSB Made a Bike Infrastructure Recommendation was in 1972 | Systemic Failure
- Oklahoma – Curb on Texting While Driving Is Blocked – NYTimes.com
- Paranoid Stay at Home Mom: Guest Post: Becoming a Biking Family
- 13 Percent of Hubway Rides Replace Cars – Jamaica Plain, MA Patch
This is an open thread.