It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup!
First up, former city planner for Vancouver BC Brent Toderian was the keynote speaker at the Downtown Seattle Association’s recent State of Downtown meeting. Toderian makes a strong case for embracing livability and density. He also rips into the deep bore tunnel (he says Seattle should have just gotten rid of the highway) and makes it clear that if Seattle wants cycling to be a serious mode of transportation, we have to separate bike lanes from general traffic (“adult males are willing to ride in essentially unsafe conditions. Women, seniors and kids aren’t stupid. You have to make it actually smart as a choice”). It’s nearly 19 minutes long, but definitely worth watching:
Pacific Northwest News:
- BikePortland.org » Local shop now offers hot tub rentals, delivered by bike
- Shops We Love: Ride Bicycles | Detours Blog
- Bicyclist Killed After Struck by Taxi Van in Pasco – KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima
- A Year of Action: CSG is One Year Old! | Central Seattle Greenways
- KOMO News sues to uncover true cost of WSDOT 520 mistakes | KOMO News – Cracked 520 bridge pontoons will cost more than total state funding for biking and walking safety. Better raise the bike tax to pay for it!
- BikePortland.org » Hunch leads to purchase of stolen bike and a happy ending
- Bikes and crafts: Easy DIY handlebar bag « Cascade Bike Blog
- State admits costly mistakes on 520 bridge | The Seattle Times
- Good News: Demand-based Parking Can Be Adjusted Based On… Demand! – Seattle Transit Blog
- Another view of Columbia River Crossing: Opponent’s animated image shows before, after of project at Jantzen Beach | OregonLive.com – Yikes!
- Suspect Allegedly Raids Downtown Movie Theater, Leaves at Least One Mt Dew Richer | Slog – Also, steals employee’s bike.
- Thank you for a wonderful, not-so-Chilly Hilly! « Cascade Bike Blog – Few things are more awesome than a ferry filled with bikes.
- Vancouver invests $50,000 to develop bike helmet dispenser
- Store Manager and So Much More! in Seattle, WA, 98101 – Want to work at the new Timbuk2 store?
- Ballard among top bicycling neighborhoods in commuting map | Ballard News-Tribune
- STB Wins Municipal League Award – Seattle Transit Blog – Well-deserved!
- Bellevue: What Makes for a Livable Downtown? – Seattle Transit Blog
Halftime show! Here’s taking neighborhood greenways to a new level: After school playtime street closures on select UK residential streets:
National & Global News:
- Driving Declined During the Recovery | Sightline Daily – Driving is going down, and it’s not because of the recession.
- Boston and Minneapolis-Saint Paul Maps Show Bikeshare’s Transportation Impact — Mobility Lab – Can’t wait to see the first Puget Sound Bike Share version!
- U.S. DOT to Challenge AASHTO Supremacy on Bike/Ped Safety Standards | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Got lost in the acronyms? Basically, US is starting to question the road engineering guidebook that got us into this dangerous mess. This is good for people who bike.
- Bikeleague.org Blog » Bike Law University: Helmet Mandate Laws Thornier Than They Seem – Did you know the League of American Bicyclists is against all-ages helmet laws?
- Why a Bicycle Tax Might Not Be Pointless After All – The Atlantic Cities – Hmm…
- Cycle Bridge Enschede | BicycleDutch – A Dutch intersection with cycle tracks we would drool over isn’t good enough for them, so they build a bike bridge.
- Metro Police 1 : Go Getter 0 | What a Bicycle Can Do!
- Bike-Corral Debate Exposes Tension in a Brooklyn Community – NYTimes.com – A bike corral taking away customers is like an iPod taking away music. It holds many customers, all fit into the vehicle storage space previously used by just one.
- Carbon tax: Treasury nominee Jack Lew says Obama won’t propose one – Even though China will…
- Undercover bike officers target unsafe drivers | WOAI: San Antonio News
- Anna Catherine Dr to Summer Rain Dr – Google Maps – It would take nearly 2 and a half hours to walk from this Florida suburban home to the home with which it shares a back yard.
- Failure to indict truck driver for death of a cyclist reveals bias – Editorials – The Boston Globe
- The Moped Menace in the Netherlands | BicycleDutch – I don’t understand why scooters not needed for mobility assist reasons are allowed on their cycle paths. We wouldn’t allow them on our trails.
- State will rip out Robert Moses Parkway in Niagara Falls – The Buffalo News – Oh, the sweet poetry.
- Cyclists in Dublin double – survey – The Irish Times – Either years ago, rainy and hilly Dublin had a similar percentage of bike commuters as Seattle does today. Now they are fast approaching ten percent.
This is an open thread.