It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! First up, here is Chicago’s strategy for dealing with intersections and right-turning cars on their new protected bike lanes: Mixing zones. Does this bike lane count as an all-ages-and-abilities facility? (video by Steven Vance of StreetsBlog Chicago)
Pacific Northwest News:
- Both of WSDOT’s Seattle Megaprojects Off to a Bumpy Start | The SunBreak – Let’s start a betting pool: Who thinks the cost overruns alone on these projects will be higher than the state’s entire biking and walking budgets?
- BikePortland.org » Bike commuters are happiest (and other PSU research tidbits)
- Northgate/105th: Another Epic Repaving Project – Seattle Transit Blog – Northgate Way complete street?
- You, too, can have a desk inside Capitol Hill’s super green Bullitt Center | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- BikePortland.org » PBOT will begin installing new 20 mph signs next month – Let’s pass the Neighborhood Safe Streets Bill so we can do this, too!
- Being A Vulnerable User: I’ve Been Robbed! Again and Again and Again!
— Tim K / Carfreedays (@oninformation) January 26, 2013
- SIR Permanents – Some great-looking long bike ride routes in the area
- Lies we Tell our Children (or how to get kids to go bike touring) | Car Free Days
- Nominate Your Top-Priority Bike Project | Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- Car2Go parked2long » Magnolia Voice – One solution: Get a card and move the car yourself.
— familyride (@familyride) January 24, 2013
- Street sign vigilante messing with rules of road in Maple Leaf | KOMO News
Halftime show! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
National & Global News:
- Study: Protected Bike Lanes Reduce Injury Risk Up to 90 Percent | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Seriously, this is no longer up for debate. They work. Really well.
- chainguard : Message: Re: [CG] Re: [BicycleDriving] Perhaps we should all stop using the ambiguous and divisive terms, “vehicular cycling” and “VC” – Speaking of people who still think bike lanes are worth arguing about, here John Forrester calls people who use bike lanes “incompetent.” Yeesh. Also, is “vehicular cycling” a divisive term, or is it just unpopular because IT DOESN’T WORK as a city’s sole strategy to increase safe bicycling?
- 1 | These Airbags For Cyclists Might Save Your Life When A Car Slams Into You | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation
- The Separation of Church and Parking – The Atlantic Cities – Side note: Any religious readers want to start Safe Routes to Church?
- Charge: Man, 71, beat woman in fit of road rage – seattlepi.com – William Zesbaugh really really really really really sucks.
- ‘I Was A Teenage Cyclist,’ or How Anti-Bike-Lane Arguments Echo the Tea Party – NYTimes.com
- Nicholas Lovell appears in court accused of killing Ross and Clare Simons – WalesOnline – Very sad story.
- Poll: The Hunt for the Worst Intersection in America Continue – StreetsBlog
- Denis McDonough: Bike Commuter No Longer After Chief Of Staff Appointment – I would’ve turned down the job. If the White House wants to attract top talent, it better start providing better bike access…
- Big bucks for bikes? | an SFGate.com blog – If we don’t invest, SF is going to leave us in the dust
- I will not serve a second term; but we have more work to do – The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation
- You Don’t Have to Be Superhuman to Commute by Bicycle – The Atlantic Cities
- Downtown Bike Lane Results Are In – Gazettes.com – Spoiler: They work really well!
- Drivers Cover Just 51 Percent of U.S. Road Spending | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Urban Adonia: Moving from Subaltern to Sustainable Transportation
- 2012: Car ownership busts the $10,000 bar « Price Tags – Round number makes future references to this stat much easier. Also, sell your car.
- Police: Santa Cruz man steals bicycle while leaving jail
This is an open thread.