It’s time for the weekly bike news roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, this video reminds me of what StreetFilms would have been like 60 years ago (also, it’s interesting how many of the transit arguments have not changed):
Pacific Northwest News:
- Op-Ed: In-City Bicycling is Not a Road Race (cc: SDOT) | The SunBreak
- Downtown-to-Ballard Transit Study Gets Its Dough | Slog – Can we PLEASE build a light rail station in Ballard before, let’s say, 2030?
- BikePortland.org » E-assist cargo bike helps farmer ditch the truck
- Delridge Greenway Open House | North Delridge Neighborhood Council – Sounds like the new outreach format is off to a good start.
- UPDATE: 3 dead in crash were from Kingston | Seattle Times
- Voluntary recall issued for 3,800 U.S.-made folding bikes – CNN.com – Tikit bikes, based out of Eugene.
- Prius hits 3 pedestrians, including a child, in Seattle’s University District | Seattle Times
- Car crashes into Renton building, killing office worker | KING5.com Seattle – “A car has crashed into her business five times in the last three years.” So sad.
- Man injured during road rage incident this morning | SPD Blotter – Insane
- Eastside rail: The Humpty Dumpty of Northwest transportation | Crosscut.com
- Biking Seattle » Headed downtown
- Owl Attacks a Continuing Concern at Sammamish’s Soaring Eagle Park, Kirkland’s Bridle Trails Park – Sammamish-Issaquah Patch, WA Patch
- Our Priorities For Jay Inslee – Seattle Transit Blog
- Bicycle commuters win support for more bike lanes on Anchorage roads | ADN.com
- Bicyclist fatally hit by pickup in Marysville | Seattle Times – Condolences to his friends and family
- Shots fired in Tacoma road rage incident; suspect arrested after chase | KING5.com Seattle
- 5 injured after man runs stop sign – seattlepi.com
- Passenger says double fatality crash result of drag racing | www.kirotv.com
- BikePortland.org » City’s parking study shows Portland’s low-car potential – Attention: Microhousing boosters.
- Messing with the bike counter « Family Ride – Do not anger Bike Counter …
- New Thomas Street Pedestrian Bridge Artwork Gateway Dedication on Sunday » Queen Anne View
Halftime show! I usually sing Robyn when I put my bike on the bus, too!
Nationals & Global News:
- The Yoga of Biking: Pedal, Stretch, Breathe | elephant journal
- Cars driving up the costs of health care in British Columbia | Peter Ladner | Business in Vancouver
- Bike-Share Equipment Apparently Damaged by Flooding – NYTimes.com
- The Community Spoke Robbed in Boston | BostInno – Not. Cool.
- Bat-inspired tech lets blind man ride mountain bike – FutureTech on NBCNews.com
- High court hears case on bikes on high road | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
- The New New Broadway: More Pedestrian Space, Redesigned Bike Lane | Streetsblog New York City
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Lord Mayor of Car-penhagen
- Cycling: Cruise, new Denver development, features free bikes, bike-themed artwork – The Latest Word – Too cool.
- A sidewalk to bridge Red and Blue | Better! Cities & Towns Online
- Newly Un-Flooded New York Subway Still Looking Pretty Horrible – The Atlantic Cities
- Enough Public Bike Sharing, Says Barcelona’s City Council. Get Your Own Bicycles! : TreeHugger
- Early ’90s bet on urban centers pays off for Seattle | KING5.com Seattle
- Jarvis St. bike lane removal met by protest – thestar.com
- Cyclelicious » Arrest in Fresno cyclist shooting
- This DIY Traffic Counter Could Change Everything About Transportation Planning – The Atlantic Cities – YES!
- Here’s How to Get All Your Timid Friends on Bikes – The Atlantic Cities