It’s time for the completely overdue Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
In honor of Portland, my host city for the weekend, we’ll kick things off with a video about how they installed their bike counter before Seattle did (seriously, it’s coming soon, I’m told).
Pacific Northwest News:
- BikePortland.org » Portland makes bikes count on the Hawthorne Bridge – I was super excited about getting counted by this Thursday, but I was headed the wrong way and didn’t get to see my number!
- Of Dynamos and Bike Lights, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The LED | Sweetbike (.org)
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Bike Rides to Carry You Into the Fall
- Video shows Lynnwood hit-and-run collision | www.kirotv.com
- Beyond Oil: Speakers – Hmm, so these car guys are going to tell us about the oil-free future?
- Beacon Hill Blog » Beacon B.I.K.E.S. appeals for greenway support
- Petition | City of Seattle: Save Our Sandbox | Change.org
- BikePortland.org » A tiny house with big aspirations: Introducing the ‘BikeRV’
- Some obstacles in the path of a Seattle bike share system » Biking Bis
- Bicycle crash survivor credits helmet for saving life | KOMO News – This kid is a bad ass. He was hit by someone driving a car while he was in a crosswalk. The focus on his helmet in this story seems to assume this crash was inevitable: It wasn’t. At least the driver was cited (and I hope the driver is on the hook for his medical bills). Shouldn’t the vulnerable user law kick in here?
- Playing a crosswalk piano at Carkeek Park | Picture This | The Seattle Times
- What Apodments Can Do For You – Seattle Transit Blog
- Tour de Peaks cyclists tour de valleys » Biking Bis
- Bike Parking App – Seattle – It’s coming…
- BikePortland.org » 29 bikes stolen from non-profit Bike Clark County in Vancouver
- Man who biked from Baltimore has wheels stolen in Parkland | Parkland – The News Tribune
- Portland Tribune and Community Newspapers – Bike blogger’s route takes a write turn – Profile of Bike Portland’s Jonathan Maus.
- The moral superiority of Seattle jaywalkers | Crosscut.com – I am still trying to figure out how I feel about this column.
Halftime show! A $60 cardboard bike?
National & Global News:
- Dodging Bulls and Gunshots on New Jersey’s 19th-Century ‘Bicycle Railroad’ – The Atlantic Cities
- The Problem of Under-Insured Drivers « Systemic Failure
- Bike Commute News: UPS Testing New Cargo Cruiser Electric Delivery Bicycle – Seattle can haz?
- A Reporter Learns to Ride a Bicycle as an Adult – NYTimes.com
- Dooring fears prompt bike lane rethink
- How to Dismount by H.G. Wells – Bike Hugger
- Segregated bike lanes reduce accident rate – Ottawa – CBC News
- Duly Quoted: The Toronto Police Service’s Official Facebook Page | news | Torontoist
- Wall Photos – Map of Latin American ciclovias
- No Accident | Transportation Alternatives
- WaPo Blames “Distracted Walking” for Unexplained Rise in Deaths | Streetsblog.net
- Helmet laws discourage safe cyclists – says new study | road.cc – Interesting. The users most commonly deterred from cycling by helmet laws are the types of cyclists we need more of.
- Making City Biking Less Scary – Commute – The Atlantic Cities
- bike sharing usage patterns in Washington DC’s Capital Bikeshare | articulate discontent
- Toronto cyclist dies after wheel gets trapped in unused streetcar track – The Globe and Mail – The story cites Seattle lawyer Bob Anderton’s SLUT crash lawsuit.
- New York Bike-Share Program Delayed Until Spring – NYTimes.com