It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup. As always, this is an open thread.
First up, I can’t wait to see the first commuter rocking the Olympic dove wings on Dexter…
Pacific Northwest News:
- Go Means Go! » The Amazing Cycle Truck Conversion Kit
- Pedestrian struck by car in North Seattle | Seattle Times – Injuries critical.
- Helmet cameras: a bicyclist’s safety device « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Portland Shows Innovations with their Latest Route | Open Streets Project – It is possible to accommodate car traffic during an open streets celebration
- BikePortland.org » City of Portland looks to go beyond auto-centric ‘level of service’ standards – YES!
- Vinny’s near death experience – Google Groups – Incredible story of a car flying over a RAMROD participant without hitting him.
- Community packs open house for Ballard Greenways | Ballard News-Tribune
- New research: Cycling is for everyone and it’s good for us (and we’re falling behind) « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- A lenticular cloud forms over Mt. Rainier during the RAMROD cycling rally | The Seattle Times – Incredible photos
- On Seattle’s Neighborhood Greenways, cute kids can roam free | Taking the Lane
- Would It Work Here? No Bike Helmet Law | Seattle Met – Or at least a modified law that supports bike share.
- BikePortland.org » PBOT preps plans to roll out new 20 mph speed limit signs – If only the neighborhood safe speeds bill had passed…
- Babes on Bikes II | Sightline Daily
- BikePortland.org » Researcher considers cargo bikes as tools for social justice
- Transportation Nag: CityTarget – a Transportation Near-Miss
- With push for Ballard line, streetcar’s Broadway extension now ‘realistic, viable’ | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
Halftime show! A look at the great work led by women and transgender people in Denver’s Derailer Bike Collective (this is where my partner Kelli of Yoga for Bikers first learned bike repair when we lived in Denver!)
National & Global News:
- Distracted pedestrians stumble into danger – seattlepi.com – While being distracted while walking is a bad idea, I am about 400,000 times less worried about distracted walking than I am distracted driving.
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Free Webinars on the Updated AASHTO Bike Guide
- CRIME: To flee, or not to flee – Do tough DUI laws that fail to address hit and run actually encourage fleeing the scene?
- Critical Mass cyclists arrested near Olympic Stadium | guardian.co.uk – Wow. Because I’m sure a mass arrest scene is better for traffic flow than flowing (albeit, leisurely) bike traffic…
- The Urban Country Bicycle Blog: Montreal Bicycle Ridership Up 35-40%