It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As eagerly awaited in Seattle as the Blue Angels (with 1/1,000,000,000 the noise!). As always, this is an open thread.
First up, I have no idea what to think of this:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Calling for auction donations!
- Seattle schools put the brakes on driver’s ed – MyNorthwest.com – How is road safety education not a “core” part of the SPS mission? We need more driver (and bicycling!) education, not less. Perhaps no other school lesson will so directly effect a student’s life (and prevent them from losing it).
- Suspected drunk driver plows into adult and three children – seattlepi.com – In Everett.
- Law student arrested for hit-and-run with young girl – Spokesman.com – July 23, 2012 – In Spokane.
- BikePortland.org » New 4-story mural downtown proclaims ‘Welcome to America’s Bicycle Capital’
- Last chance to be part of RAW « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Registration ends 5 p.m. today (Wednesday)
- BikePortland.org » Over 10,000 participate in first ever Southwest Portland Sunday Parkways – This is the hilly part of town (AKA, proof it could work here!)
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: More Summer Rides that Support Growing Bicycling Statewide
- Motorists cutting each other off VS pedestrians cutting each other off – The Oatmeal
- Get off the road, get on the road, which is it? — Main Tank
- Bus Chick is gonna need to change her name:
Went on @bikeworks206 family biking adventure yesterday. Thinking I can maybe actually do this biking with kids thing. Finally going to try.
— Carla Saulter (@seattlebuschick) July 22, 2012
- Swift Industries launched new bag for Brompton folding bikes
- Women – Bicycles – Helmet Cams – A new website for women to submit their helmet cam footage.
- BikePortland.org » PSU research delves deeper into ‘Four types of cyclists’
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: The Bicycle Recycled
- Bicyclist hit by car on Burke-Gilman Trail’s ‘missing link’ » My Ballard
- Ask Governor Gregoire for Fair Share for Walk, Bike, Transit | Transportation for Washington – Sign the petition.
- BikePortland.org » Should Hwy 101 collision have triggered ‘vulnerable roadway users’ law? – We should be careful that our law is not read this way by police.
- Vehicular Mayhem Downtown | SPD Blotter
- A Q&A with cyclist/author Mike McQuaide, ’75 Classic Rides Washington’ | Books | The Seattle Times
- Marshawn Lynch had ‘objective signs of intoxication’ before arrest | The Seattle Times – DUI.
- SDOT Blog » What has BTG done for me lately? – The aqueduct? – Oh yeah, yeah, they did give us that, that’s true. – And the roads – Well, obviously the roads. The roads go without saying…
Halftime show! A share the road PSA from Canada (reminds me of an insurance commercial, oh, it is!):
National & Global News:
- No Explanations as Traffic Deaths Jump 13.5 Percent | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Cargo Bikes United In New Cycle Logistics Federation – Momentum Mag
- Motorists To Urban Planners: Stay In Your Lane : NPR
- Maybe What We Need Is Ghost Cars | Streetsblog.net – Sadly, there isn’t enough room…
- Extraordinary Observations: The Utility of Cars in Cities
- The Villaraigosa Interview I: Building a New Transportation System | Streetsblog Los Angeles – An environmental review for bike lanes? Mayor V thinks that’s silly
- Montreal cyclist on bicycle path dies in truck collision – No charges expected, for some reason.
- A critique of Cycle Chic | Taking the Lane – The post heard ’round the cyclepath.
- Bikes Are Not Cars: Why California Needs an “Idaho Stop” Law | Streetsblog San Francisco – And Washington! Though I would trade an Idaho Stop Law for a bold funding plan for walking, biking and transit.
- Transit App for iOS 6 and Beyond by OpenPlans — Kickstarter
- Taking the lane: when simplistic advice can make things worse | I Bike Toronto – Is it always best to take the lane?
- Fort Worthology » Fort Worth Bike Sharing System Funded, Operating by April with 300 Bikes and 30 Stations – That’s right, even Fort Worth, Texas is ahead of Seattle in launching a bike share system. You know that’s right next to Dallas, right?
- Victim stopped in Colorado during bike tour | 9news.com – One man shot in the Aurora, Colo. theater massacre was on a bike tour.
- In Denmark, Pedaling to Work on a Superhighway – NYTimes.com – Imagine if the I-90 Trail actually connected seamlessly to downtown…
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Some Things Never Change
- Bicyclists Using Cameras to Capture Accidents – NYTimes.com
- The Tyee – The New Class Warfare over Bicycles
- Rest in peace, Cookie Lady » Biking Bis
- Remembering The Great California Cycleway « 90042 – Wow.
- Portending a single fare system for bikes and transit :: Second Ave. Sagas – When King County launches bike share, ORCA should work at the kiosks.
- NYC to Use Inspections to Combat Dangerous Bicycle Delivery Riding | Transportation Nation
- Mapping Tokyo’s Train System in Slime Mold – The Atlantic Cities – I have no words.