It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup. This is also the July 4 open thread.
First up, Velo-City 2013 will be in Vienna. Here’s the promo video they showed in Vancouver last week:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Study: Thousands of drivers would clog streets to avoid tunnel tolls | The Seattle Times – It’s true: We’re spending $2 billion to dig a tunnel for cars-only that will make our traffic worse. Sightline points out that we already knew all this before we voted.
- Tell the city where bike investment is needed on Capitol Hill | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – We need a safer Pike/Pine!
- Alta Planning & Design – Community Outreach and Fulfillment Coordinator – Rad job alert.
- “Everybody has a cause, and I’m going to get behind others’ causes.” « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- BikePortland.org » PBOT campaign encourages bikes to avoid Alberta Street – Should we point people to safer streets, or should we simply make all streets safe?
- Get out the bike and hit the trails around Seattle | The Seattle Times
- Kent’s Bike Blog: Bike Talk: What’s the best way to deal with the rain?
- Seattle bike polo | THE LOCALS – They’re stylin’
- Coal Trains Would Clog SoDo—Where’s the Port’s Outrage About Freight Mobility? | Slog – The Port will fight safe bicycle infrastructure, but coal trains that shut down key freight roadways for long periods of time are totally fine. What?
- Bicycle helmets are hilarious (and why I wear one) | Taking the Lane
- BikePortland.org » With six kids and no car, this mom does it all by bike – Inspiring.
- Kidical Mass to Wallingford Greenway Block Party recap « Family Ride
- SPD looking for clues in Lake City hit and run – KCPQ
- BikePortland.org » Alta pitches helmet vending machines for Vancouver BC bike share
- Taking the STP challenge: The Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic attracts cyclists of all abilities
National & Global News:
- Who are all these self-harming Dutch helmet wearers? | At War With The Motorist – All cycling isn’t equally dangerous. Dutch racers wear helmets when riding fast and training, but not when cruising to the neighborhood store.
- Young American Shift Away from a Car-driven Culture – Carbusters
- Lane change for bicycle projects in San Francisco | San Francisco Examiner – San Francisco is going to pass Seattle if we don’t make some serious investments.
- London Cycling Campaign – What British roads would look like it they were treated the way cycling facilities are treated.
- DC Bike Shop Owners See Big Returns From Bike Share | Transportation Nation – Even though public bikes are everywhere, bike share is still a boon for bike shops.
- Brazilian Prisoners Can Now Bike Their Way to Freedom | Geekosystem – Pedal years off your sentence
- Sydney Builds Separate Bike Lanes, Ridership Skyrockets 82% : TreeHugger – Separated lanes are the way to go. There is no question about it.
- Congressman Blumenauer Statement on Surface Transportation Authorization
- TCB Courier: Loving Bikes, Self, and Community – Great chapter in my neighbor Lori’s e-book about people creating their own work groups and styles.
- BikePortland.org » Blumenauer on new transportation bill: “A missed opportunity” and a “call to arms”