It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup (one day late, apologies). As always, this is an open thread.
First up, taking traffic lessons from NY City to India:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Seattle Magazine | Arts & Culture/Outdoors | Different Spokes – Some great photos of Seattle bicycle culture (including some from the Easter Cargo Bike Ride)
- A community conversation about the Montlake Lid, Tuesday June 26th & Thursday June 28th | montlaker
- SDOT Blog » TIGER Funding to Help Complete the Mercer Corridor! – Could mean the new Mercer underpass at Aurora could come sooner.
- B.C.’s bicycle-helmet law should be eased: Critics – With Velocity coming up, the helmet debate is in full-swing in British Columbia (has a province-wide all-ages bike helmet law)
- BikePortland.org » Don’t say it never happens: One woman’s story of a ‘hit-and-ride’
- To Avert Liability, Washington Town Drops Helmet Laws – NYTimes.com – Milton makes the NY Times. See also our post.
- Issues and ideas from WSDOT’s Roanoke Lid Community Design Meeting | montlaker
- BikePortland.org » Cargo bikes reach new heights at ‘Disaster Relief Trials’
- PubliCola to Resume Publication with Seattle Met – Independent journalism still trying to find a sustainable funding model. Publicola is going with the “try everything until something works” strategy. I hope they figure it out (and let the rest of us know what it is)
- Highway 520 bridge in Montlake may ride on federal loan | The Seattle Times
- Bicycle Portraits « Seattle Critical Lass – Some of the women who are revolutionizing cycling in Seattle.
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Summer Institute – Safe Routes to School institute August 9-10
- Meet Moises « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Hi Moises!
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Copenhagenizing Vancouverism
- Maple Leaf Greenways – The city now has groups representing well over half of it’s neighborhoods. Big missing pieces: Duwamish River Valley, Alki, Magnolia, Lake City and Northgate. If you live there, get involved!
- SDOT Blog » Every Nook & Cranny – Nearly Done! – Next time, I say we just let the bridge rust… (I’m kidding. But seriously, painting the Ballard Bridge sucks)
- Call for Climate Projects – The OSE will fund a Greenways for all Communities project
- Yoga, testosterone, and taking the lane | Taking the Lane – Pre-ride yoga, power poses and confidence in traffic.
Halftime show! Do you love your road bike, but wish it were just a little more comfortable for everyday city cruising? Sometimes you just need to tweak your set-up. You can do it for cheap, or you can go all-out like this:
National & Global News:
- Number plates for bicycles proposed in Tokyo – Telegraph
- Strava changes its terms and conditions, users required to agree not to sue company | road.cc – Please don’t endanger your life trying to beat your Strava record. Seriously.
- Anchorage Bike Riders Need Bike Lanes, not Helmet Laws | Alaska Dispatch
- New Survey Finds Capital Bikeshare Members Drive Less and Save Big
- San Francisco Cyclist Charged With Manslaughter – NYTimes.com – People cycling kill 6 pedestrians a year. People driving kill 6,000, says CDC.
- How to Take Great Cycling Photos | Bicycling Magazine – Great crash course
- Streetfilms The Movie – YES!
- Lance Armstrong’s Bike: ‘It Was Me’ | The Onion – America’s Finest News Source
- Key West residential areas to get lower speed zone – KeysNet.com
- Diesel exhaust fumes can cause cancer, WHO says | Reuters – Duh. Now let’s take action to reduce the problem.
- AASHTO Adds Designs to Bikeway Guide, But Not Protected Bike Lanes | Streetsblog Capitol Hill