It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, a video from Bryant Elementary’s HUGE Bike to School Day ride.
Pacific Northwest News:
- Vancouver Was Awesome: The first bicycle craze — Vancouver Is Awesome
- Morning Fizz: Gone Fishin’ | Crosscut.com – Publicola coming back?
- Spokane tinkerer builds own bicycle — of bamboo | The Seattle Times
- Central Seattle Greenways completes first Melrose cleanup
- ST Station Name Survey – Seattle Transit Blog – I think we should just rename University Street Station. Seneca Street Station alliterates better, anyway.
- Vancouver city staff recommend keeping downtown bike lanes | Straight.com – Must read for downtown Seattle folks. It works!
- Group Health Commute Challenge final standings « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Eckstein Middle School wins Cascade Bike to School party
- Welcome Rainier Valley Greenways! – If you live in Rainier Valley, get involved!
- Driver from the $800 Capitol Hill tow charged with DUI, hit and run | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle – How much does it cost to tow your truck out of the side of a building you crashed into while drunk (allegedly)? Sadly, I bet it costs less than $800…
- Lots of people are donating to Bike Works in honor of Nap Cantwell:
We’re humbled by the $700+ from the friends to the Nap Cantwell Youth Scholarship Fund. Heartfelt condolences to the Cantwell/Ishikawas.
— Bike Works (@bikeworks206) June 12, 2012
National & Global News:
- Obama Administration Working to Close Racial, Ethnic Gap on Asthma/Asthma disproportionately affects minority children, children living below poverty level – Somehow, reducing driving is not even mentioned. Good luck reducing asthma without reducing the primary cause of asthma…
- Want to Increase Cycling? Sharrows Won’t Cut It | Streetsblog.net – We need a word for sharrows on a busy street where they are completely inadequate.
- Husband of woman killed in bicycle accident considers lawsuit | Salt Lake City – Temporary road sign placed in the bike lane caused her to crash.
- House of Representatives Aims to Eliminate Local Funds for Biking & Walking – America Bikes
- Commerce Secretary Linked to Hit-and-Run Crashes – NYTimes.com
- Toronto News: Hume: London Mayor Boris Johnson says bikes civilize cities – thestar.com
- Extraordinary Observations: Rebalancing Capital Bikeshare Stations
- NYC Mayor: Bike Helmets Are Nice, But Separated Bike Lanes Are More Important | Transportation Nation
- The Rise of the Citizen Cyclist – The Atlantic Cities
- Independent Researchers Prove Safety Effects of NYC Bike Lanes | ANIMAL
- 5 ways to include women in bicycling | Taking the Lane
- Cyclist kills pedestrian; does calling “on your left” not work? – Greater Greater Washington – Though most of you are already courteous and polite, this bears repeating: Slow down when passing people on foot. It is your duty to avoid a collision. Yelling or ringing a bell alone is not enough. You have to be prepared, and that means passing slowly and/or with lots of space so you have time to react if someone steps in the wrong direction. Don’t replicate rude and dangerous driver behavior on our city’s trails and sidewalks.