It’s time for the Tuesday Bike News Roundup. As always, this is an open thread. Feel free to discuss anything bike-related in the comments.
First up, this video of a PA bus driver stopping a hit-and-run driver has gone viral. The driver was caught and charged with breaking the state’s hours-old three-foot passing law.
Pacific Northwest News:
- How Not To Forecast Traffic | Sightline Daily – If you’re trying to sell a dubious expansion to a mega-project (like, say, the Columbia River Crossing), Sightline teaches you how to cook the traffic forecast books.
- Garage burglarized in south Phinney/north Fremont Sunday night – I’ve been seeing a lot of these secured garage burglaries in north Seattle recently. Keep an eye on your stuff.
- Rain Garden Backlash Is All Wet | Sightline Daily
- Bikes on the Hill: Top Ten Highlights from Washington, D.C. « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- JENNIFER JACKSON’S PORT TOWNSEND NEIGHBOR COLUMN: Peninsula bicycle collector masters the high-wheeler
- Jarrett Walker and Darrin Nordahl at Town Hall – Seattle Transit Blog – April 18
- My neighbor Dave, a paramedic, hauls his firefighting gear between rotating firehouses on his Big Dummy #Xtracycle | Flickr – Photo Sharing!
- We’re hiring! « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Staff writer position! Want to write stuff for me to blockquote? This could be the job for you!
- SPD Blotter » Child struck by van in South Seattle
- Need help planning your summer bike tour? « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Tonight (Tuesday) at REI!
- Magazine and new books aid search for bicycling adventures in Pacific NW » Biking Bis
- Seattle Times: Regulations Are Bad, Except Regulations That Require Subsidizing Our Car Culture | Slog – This car-blinded Times editorial is so bad, it’s earning national ridicule.
- Tell WSDOT to Build the Portage Bay Bike Lane | montlaker
- “I’ve found salvation on the seat of a bike.” « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – I love how many newsies ride bikes (or, in this case, unicycles)
- BeaconBIKES projects get district council recommendations
For our halftime show, we have a brand new video from the Seattle Times Editorial Board presenting their 2012 Transportation Plan:
National and Global News:
- Why don’t Americans walk more? The crisis of pedestrianism. – Slate Magazine – The first in a serious about America’s walking decline crisis
- Raleigh brand may ride into Dutch sunset – The Independent – Raleigh sold to the Dutch?
- Results of our Train and Bike Survey | The Path Less Pedaled
- Bikes Belong Selects Six Cities to Fast Track Protected Bike Lanes | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Seattle is not one of them :-(
- CicLAvia Rules! How Bicyclists Made L.A. a Better Place – LA Weekly – Features interview with Seattle’s totally rad Adonia Lugo
- BBC News – Cornwall’s penny-farthing postal service
- Bug on a Bike | Colossal
- Detroit’s Bicycling Booming To Meet Transportation, Recreation Needs
- Shareable: The Boom in Biking Benefits Everyone, Not Just Bicyclists
- Another reason not to text while walking: 300-pound bear roaming streets of LA – Boing Boing
- If fossil fuel subsidies were distributed to every person, we’d each get $58/year | Grist – We have enough money to fix this problem. We’re just spending it all wrong.