We’re trying something new with the Bike News Roundup: Tuesdays! This way, you can open all the links and spend the rest of your work week simply reading bike stuff. Then you can work on Monday, and repeat!
First up, another inspiring video from the Path Less Pedaled:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Tutorial: Oilcloth Tool Roll « Bicitoro – You may have seen this demo at the Bike Expo
- Finished a long bike ride? Try this yoga pose. « Yoga for Bikers
- BikePortland.org » Portland builders take home three awards at NAHBS (so far) – Handmade bikes are awesome.
- Transportation expert urges cities to think outside the car – Spokesman.com
- Nominate your worst intersection in Seattle for 2012 « Walking in Seattle – Only one?!?
- Parking Policy Reform More Important Than LEED Certification | Planetizen – YES
- Kent’s Bike Blog: The Richest Man in Issaquah
- I got “doored” – blame it on the rain – At Melrose and Denny
- Crosswalk campaign | Wallyhood – A citizen campaign to get a crosswalk at Latona and the Burke-Gilman Trail
- We Need Photos! Used Stuff and Bike Storage | Sightline Daily – Sightline wants photos of your home bike storage solutions
- BikePortland.org » All signs point to a big year for women on bikes
- bike snob : Chronicle Books – Bike Snob on a book tour (and OMG OMG HE’S COMING HERE)
- Courts: Light Rail Allowed Over I-90 – Seattle Transit Blog
- The new Tukwila Station will save us all « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Hi there Greenway… – Phinney man who has recovered from a stroke needs a lightweight trike so he can back out riding. Any suggestions?
- Mayor McGinn Visits Wedgwood « Wedgwood Community Council – Neighborhood Greenways folks were out in force.
- Go Means Go! » 3/17 in Seattle: Ides of March
- SDOT Blog » Calling for Street Mural Applications!
- Stylen’ Cycle Mom: Test Drive: Cargo Bike – And she liked it, even on the hills!
- Danny Westneat | Toll the tunnel? Price it for cheapskates like me – There is another option: Don’t make the waterfront surface boulevard into another highway. Why would I drive in an expensive tunnel when the government is working on a behemoth waterfront highway that will be free?
It’s the motherfucking halftime show!
National & Global News:
- The Go-Nowhere Generation – NYTimes.com – Bwahahahaha. Oh wait, they’re serious?
- Go cargo: Utility bikes take cities by storm | Grist
- $4 Gas | edsteinink.com
- Taking Parking Lots Seriously, as Public Spaces – NYTimes.com
- Phys Ed: How Staying Active Keeps Us Healthy – NYTimes.com – Must read!
- Bike hire plans hinge on helmets
- A DIY major bike project | Cycle Space – That’s one way to make a bike path… just get a lot of people to bike on the grass until it becomes one.
- Review of the Best Bicycle Tail Lights in 2012 « Stack Exchange Bicycles Blog – Lots of great info for those interested in this kind of stuff.
- Bicycle Buses Let Dutch Kids Pedal Together to School : TreeHugger
- Face of the City: Cultural Crosswalks – Cool crosswalk designs in Houston.
- Traffic Planning Guide: Copenhagen vs North America | The Prudent Cyclist – Great illustration of American walk/bike planning (and why people find it easier just to drive)
- California’s phone ban: Maybe not such a bad idea after all – latimes.com
- Meanwhile, in Russia… – Imgur – A bike powered by a chainsaw…
- Pedaling wife 12km part of octogenarian’s routine – Taipei Times – Heartwarming!
- Boehner gives in on highway bill – The Hill’s Transportation Report
- Teenager killed in car crash after posting: ‘driving and facebooking is not safe’ – Telegraph
- Supreme Court Strikes Down Eyman’s Red-Light Camera Initiative | PubliCola
- How Income and Neighborhoods Affect Driving | Sightline Daily
- Judge Bans Rhode Island Teen From Driving For Life (VIDEO)
- Eisenhower Didn’t Want Highways Through Cities – Seattle Transit Blog
- It’s a No Brainer: Active Kids = Smarter Kids | Safe Routes to School National Partnership
- The Bicycle Kingdom starts living up to its name – Bikehub – Biking in Taiwan
- Why should my bike subsidize your car? – The Washington Post
- Study purports to equate NASCAR viewing with aggressive driving
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Airbags Instead of Bike Helmets
This is an open thread.