Here’s a roundup of some bike/transportation news floating around the web these days.
First up: The Path Less Pedaled is in New Zealand, and they got involved with some bicycle activism in Auckland. Here’s their (as always) awesome video:
Kiwi Chronicles Ep2: Cycling the Super City from Russ Roca on Vimeo.
- Amazon.com: RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles eBook – Get this short fiction ebook featuring Issaquah’s own Kent “Mountain Turtle” Peterson
- Mayor Ford ends the ‘war on the car’ and starts one against motorists | rabble.ca
- BikePortland.org » Photo of the Week: Bike boxes? Who needs ’em! – Do people who ignore bike facilities damage the movement?
- Women In Cycling: Why We Matter » Girl Bike Love
- Local News | Gas money fight led to fatal Tacoma hit-and-run | Seattle Times Newspaper
- Kent’s Bike Blog: The Gifts of Distance and Darkness
- Fifth-Annual Xtracycle Tree Haulin | Car Free Days
- The Not So Green Bike: Carbon Fiber’s Carbon Footprint – BikeRadar
- BikePortland.org » Is it still a bikeway if you can’t find it? The importance of good signage
- Holiday Re-craft Re-cap | Hub and Bespoke Blog
- Combating the Myth That Complete Streets Are Too Expensive | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Vertical farm rising on Vancouver roof | SmartPlanet
- Building a 3,000 Mile Bike Trail From Maine to Florida : TreeHugger
- Transportation For America » Congress fails keep the transit benefit from being slashed at the end of the year
- Cyclelicious » Bike blogs for 2011
- Vancouvria’s Channel – YouTube
- Mother cycling with 2 daughters run over at crossing; both children die ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion – Incredibly sad.
- Gas Prices 2011: Paying At The Pump Ate Most Out Of Family Budget In 30 Years
- Seattle Residents Save $12K a Year By Taking Transit | PubliCola
- In the future, urban bikers go faster than cars – Dream City – Salon.com – By future, I think they mean THEY ALREADY DO!
- Be Our Web Intern! | Sightline Daily – Sweet intro gig.
- Can walking reduce the deficit? – The Washington Post
- Outrage at 0% fare rise for cyclists – Going Going Bike
- Brown Girl in the Lane: Vehicular Cycling Advocates – Spawn of Satan – An epic rant against dogmatic vehicular cycling advocates.
- Study: More Roads = More Traffic | Sightline Daily
- BikePortland.org » Study: Health benefits outweigh costs of ciclovia events
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Slowing down is gaining momentum
- Seattle man pleads not guilty in crash that killed 2 | Seattle Times Newspaper – This story still makes me so sad.
- Presto, Change-o! | Undriving & Undriver Licensing – I love the Undriving “Woulda missed if driving” series.
- Will King Street Station Adopt a Greyhound? (Plus, Seattle’s Jumbo Ferry Passenger Problem) | The SunBreak
- More on Northgate Parking – Seattle Transit Blog – I’ll trade you one parking garage for a walking/biking bridge over I-5. If we can get a couple hundred people to use the bridge instead of drive, we won’t even miss the parking.
- Columbia, MO, city council allows skating, skateboarding on city streets | Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation – Interesting! Skateboarders required to have lights at night to skate on streets. Key line: “… many communities have overlooked skateboarding as one of the practical solutions to problems such as child obesity, rising gas prices, traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions.”
- The Rise of the Sharing Economy – The Atlantic Cities – Bicycle economy + sharing economy = …. !
- Portland ranked second best car-free city | Sustainable Business Oregon – Seattle is #5. However, given that our driving mode share is significantly LOWER than PDX (and urban centers more dense), I question this list…
- Obesity epidemic forcing ferries to lighten their loads | KOMO News – Solution: Encourage more bikes on ferries!
- Video: 30,000 Chinese ‘Occupy’ Highway to Protest Polluting Coal Plants | ThinkProgress – Awesome.
- Urbanizing the Suburban Street – The Atlantic Cities – It’s hard work, but we need to be doing WAY more of this.
- Speaking of suburbs, if you liked Portlandia you’ll love “Vancouvria”
- Not An Inexpensive Bike Lane | Planetizen – Makes the Ballard Bridge rehab plans seem free …
- Biking and Walking Score Big in TIGER III | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Lots of cool projects in the works
- In praise of the humble pothole | Grist – Pothole parks!
This is an open thread.
Re: Brown Girl rant against VC’s.
Talk about a true rant. If she really wants to prove her case, ok, show me the data, but she doesn’t she’s just afraid of riding in traffic. Oh well.
And I do agree riding in traffic in and around San Diego is probably nuts. They have many arterial roads that have a 45 mph speed limit on them, that go up hills onto the nearest platuo, and it would be nuts to take a lane going 12 mph up hill with cars coming up at 50mph. So yes, I doubt many sane people do it. But riding down hill at 30mph, taking a lane probably makes sense, as the shoulder has street crud in it.